Chapter 39

[Note: This was originally included in Curse of Blades: Book 3, but as of July 28th, 2021, I began combining the 3 Curse of Blades books into a single one.]

There were no more complications by the time Coulta left for Arren two days later. No one had dared to question Shelton again, it seemed, and took his word that Coulta wasn't someone to fear because of his magic or the curse.

Coulta left just after the morning meal, accompanied by Rohan and twelve Guardsmen, along with Ralix, who had refused to be excused from service for the journey. Shelton had been in contact with Arren's appointed steward, Lord Malryf, one of Wildas's second cousins, and the man was aware of why Coulta was coming. They planned to conceal Coulta's arrival by playing that Rohan was visiting at the request of his brother to see exactly what was going on in the city, while Coulta hid himself magically. Malryf had offered to find Teeya for him, but understood Coulta's need to find her for himself. Coulta knew it was only right that he meet the man during his visit, but he planned from the start to find Teeya first. Pleasantries could be exchanged later.

It was strange and saddening to leave the castle and his spouses, especially Wildas, but he knew he'd return before long. They would be safe without him. Even as he felt this strange sadness about leaving, he also felt a horrible anxiety about reaching Arren. He'd worried about Teeya from the moment he'd left the city with Wildas, and it was time to learn what had happened to her. Was she alive or dead? If she was alive, was she angry with him for leaving her?

He would know soon enough, he supposed.

***

Coulta had been gone for three days and Myri hoped he'd hurry back. Wildas had too much to do during the day to worry, but at night he was so quiet and distant that it was almost impossible for her or Anil to make him smile. She knew he was aware of the fact that their social status meant they could be apart at times, but she supposed the very intimate connection of the soul-link between them made normal life difficult without each other. She was sure Wildas would adjust soon enough, but that it would take a few more days. This was their first separation since they'd arrived in Ryal, after all.

She was personally kept busy working with the healers, where she learned to use her new powers without very much help from Shelton. Sara had advised her that working with the sick may not be the best way to spend her days as queen, but hadn't stopped her from continuing her work. She even seemed happy to let Myri do whatever she wanted when they learned that she could close wounds and give an accurate diagnosis for every patient, as long as she touched them with her marked hand, even when the diagnosis wasn't an illness.

"I'm feeling better now, Your Highness," the servant girl assured her. "But I work in the kitchen so I thought I should come here. It's the only way I can be excused from work."

Myri nodded. "It could simply be that something you ate disagreed with you. Let me make certain," she added, gently placing her hand on the girl's wrist. There was no tainted feeling of illness, but there was another, completely different sensation. Looking the girl in the eye she asked, "Do you know you're with child?"

The girl looked away. "I was afraid of it."

"Why?"

"Because I have no future with the baby's father," the girl replied, her voice choked.

That was better than what Myri had half expected to hear. At least the girl hadn't been assaulted. "Why do you think that?"

"Because I am only a servant."

"And I take it he's not?"

As if in answer, Wildas's attendant, the young Prince Star, rushed up to them. "Blia! I went to see you this morning and they told me you were unwell." He was immediately stricken when he saw her sudden tears. "What is it?"