Chapter 41

I slam the door shut, throwing my entire body weight against it, gasping. Sweat drips down my forehead, cold fear already snaking up my chest. What the fuck is he doing here?! Lightning dances across my fingertips and I swallow hard, drawing them together in desperation. My phone, I need to tell Ares--

"Excuse me, Ms. Williams," Zeus, the literal King of Gods and the God of lightning, knocks once more, sounding a bit irritated. I clear my throat once, then twice. I just slammed the door. Oh my god, why did I do that—

"W-Why are you here?" I keep a hand on the door, reaching as far as I could toward my phone. My heartbeat runs rampant in my chest as I miss it by an inch, fear freezing me in an awkward position. Oh, come on!

"I have a proposition for you, one that I hope you'll hear out."

He sounds a bit too calm. "How do I know you won't... you know, kill me?" My words were risky, I'd admit, but it did the trick. There was no way I could trust him or Poseidon to not place me under another illusion again. They were tricky and cunning and... manipulative. There was no way that I would walk away unscathed if Zeus suddenly wanted to breach my mind of... well, everything.

"As much as ending this right here sounds utterly appealing, the Gods don't do it that way. I, even in my position, can't break the laws that we've set in place. Ares has officially opposed Poseidon and I's actions against you. That puts you under... a gray zone." I let go of the door, immediately going to my message app. Does Ares even check his phone at this time of day?

Would he be busy now? I bite my lip.

Me: zeus is here

The door swings open and I turn, spinning on my heel as he approaches. The light from the doorway is completely obscured by his height and I feel the utter power that he radiates. His electric blue eyes bore down at me and I feel the same static-y feeling develop in my fingers. I push it away, as far as possible. There was no advantage to having him find out that I had some sort of ability.

His eyes flicker down to my hands.

Does he know? Could the beings that Poseidon sent for me brought information back to him? Did...

I cover my mouth with a hand, watching the god before me with wide eyes.

He knows. He definitely knows. Poseidon probably told him about the encounter. How did... How did I forget? The days in the cave were burned in my memory, but the moments before were like thick jelly in my memory.

"Electricity." Zeus sets his jaw, regarding me like I as a stain on his shoe. "That's what you have. No where close to lightning." I nod quickly, cowering in his shadow. I couldn't help the trembles, it felt like he was suffocating me with the amount of static electricity in the room. Goosebumps rise to my skin, the entire room brimming with a feeling of doom. "Now, Ms. Williams, let us step outside for a moment." I gulp.

Leaving the room felt like I was sealing my fate.

I side my room's door closed behind me, holding onto the handle with my dear life. It was the only thing supporting me while I faced him. The god before me gives no pleasantries, instead, cuts directly to the chase. "I'll make you an offer." I nod, my throat dry. "You can go back."

"Go back?" I echo, tilting my head.

"Back to your human life. The way it was before." Before...? As in before I met the gods? Before all of this? "And you'll forget all about this. Your brothers will remember you. Your friends. Mia Williams will no longer be dead."

Mia Williams will no longer be dead. The me in the human world... the memories of me. That's what died when I went to the Underworld. When I went to the Underworld, something must've happened with my soul. The one that I have now and the one of the little girl that died in that fire.

It must've triggered a change and made everyone forget the me now, and replace it all with... her. The Mia that died that night.

He can make it all go back. Trevor... Charles... I wouldn't be known as a deceased sister to them. They'll remember the boardwalk and the ice cream and... and...

"You can live your life out as a normal human again. I can also reassure you that you'll never face any financial problems. You'll have a comfortable life from here on out." I tap my finger against the door knob, bringing myself back to reality. Go back...?

"But what... what about the prophecy?" I glance up. If I go, what will happen to Ares?

"You won't have to worry about it. What do you say?" I can go back. Everything will go back to normal. Things will be okay. I'll go and spend the rest of the summer with my brothers. Do the things that I've missed out on.

I inhale. A cold, cold laugh leaves my throat. "What? Did you get scared or something?" I let go of the door handle, anger rising against my skin like steam. He wanted me to take the easy way out. He wanted me abandon Ares by using my own family against me? I take a step forward. "You really are a coward, aren't you?"

Zeus narrows his eyes at me, crossing his arms. "You'll be painted in history as a mad woman with nothing but a rebellious whim--" I am the villain in his books. I am the evil-doer, the one who disagrees with his ideals.

The human girl who was going to bring an end to all of the gods.

"But am I wrong? My existence is on the line, and as far as I can see, I'm the one risking it all here. I never asked to be in a prophecy, so unless you have a whole new scheme to propose, I suggest you leave." I know that there's sparks dancing against my hands, clenched at my sides. Electricity? Fine, whatever gets me to the end.

"You'll regret declining my offer. See you soon then, Ms. Williams." His eyes observe the veins of light around my hands before disappearing from sight. He's gone. Doesn't spare me the enjoyment of being able to flip him off or throw an insult.

Honestly, I didn't even know if I could stay on my feet. I let out a hard breath, stepping back against the door. I stumble slightly, realizing that there was, in fact, no door behind me.

My shoulders collide with someone's chest and the door slides shut in front of me. A hand wraps around my waist and I shake my head weakly at him. I already know who it is. I can tell from the way he feels against me. How gentle he is, how nice he smells. How he holds me up, but doesn't mention it. "You heard it all." My voice is barely audible. He presses a kiss to the crown of my head, soothingly.

"I did." He saw the text. He came. And I'm somehow in his arms again, comforted by his very presence. His scent, his warmth, his intimacy.

He waited for me. "What if I took his offer? What would you have done?"

"It's your choice, doll. Everything that you choose to do, I'll follow." Ares murmurs, his soft hair tickling my forehead as he rests his head against my own. "I'd chase you all the way to the Time Pools if you wanted." I let out a breath, smiling softly.

The last of my heart seems to break apart in my chest and I can't help but feel like sobbing.

- - -

Hiiiii here's the chapter :)

Let's talk about it:

Zeus. Period. What do you think about him? His perspective? Any speculations as to what he has in store?

Look at mia pulling through :) what would you have chosen if you were in her position?

and ares listening in— do you think he should've stepped in orrrr

As always thank you so much for reading! Remember to comment, vote, and share hehe