Chapter 8

I wake up to the sound of soft knocks on my door. Yawning widely, I blink, looking around, before sitting up quickly. Where the hell was I!? I grabbed the white sheets covering my body, spaying them out beside me on the bed, climbing out. Oh. Yeah.

How could I forget? I'm in Olympus. Meeting the Greek Gods that I've only seen in magazines and headlines. I flinch when the knock comes again, and I pat down my slightly messy hair, letting out a breath.

Calm down, Mia. You're okay.

I walked over to the door, putting my hand on the handle. I turned it, cracking open the door slightly, before drawing it completely open. And suddenly, hands grabbed my shoulders and shoved me back in the room, nails digging into my shoulders. A scream caught in my throat as my attacker slides the door shut with a small bang and, almost as if she could read my mind, uses one hand to cover my mouth as I screamed at the top of my lungs.

Eris.

Her yellow, slitted eyes burned into my own as I try to fight against her, and instead of freeing myself, her forearm just dug deeper into my throat, cutting off my air supply. "Stop struggling, bitch. You're going to pay for humiliating me." 

I claw at her arms, and she slams me against my clothing cabinet. Whatever air I had left in my lungs completely rushed out of my chest, and tears are beginning to well up in my eyes. Is this how I'll go? At her hands?

Dark spots clouded my vision and I could feel myself getting more lightheaded. Why was she so strong? My fingers clawed at her own, but no matter how hard I try, I can't get her off of me.
"Mphff-" My knees buckle beneath me and the only thing that's holding me upright is her hands on my throat and mouth.

"That's right. Give up. You're going to die here." She was right. I was. Dark spots stretch across my vision, like blotches of ink. I feel myself slipping away, and I tilt my eyes toward the ceiling.

This is how I die.

Somehow, the thoughts calm me. The dim gray of the shadows across the curtains seem to carve out faces. Ones all to familiar.

My brothers.

Mom and Dad.

Keith.

Tears fall from my eyelashes until I let go and accept my fate. I close my eyes.

"Be quiet. Make her shut up." Something in my head whispers.