Chapter 17

"Phobus," The man before me looks very... ordinary. He had pale skin with accented blueish undertones. His eyes were brown and his hair was a dark onyx. He didn't radiate power like Ares... or the air of grandeur that Apollo did. A pair of rectangular glasses rested on the bridge of his nose, the only thing between me and his scrutinous gaze. "Meet Mia."

I give Phobus a wide smile, feeling slightly at ease. "Hi." Phobus gave me a timid smile, staying true to his nickname of the "shy" god.

"Hey." He was Ares's original assistant if what I remember was correct. Throughout history, he was known to be one of Ares's generals, fighting at his side in bloody battlefields. Now, without any barbaric clashes, he was just tasked with managing files and schedules. "So you're the prophecy girl?"

"Somehow," I replied, just relieved to find some normalcy in this place.

"I've heard a lot about you from Ares." I raise my eyebrows and I turn toward the God of War. He doesn't meet my questioning stare, instead, is called away toward the other side of the room. We were at a gathering of sorts, one that I didn't know about until just a few minutes ago. Somehow, gods regularly met up every week to catch up and eat dinner together? Cute, but isn't that a bit unconventional?

What if you had enemies? Would you just not show up?

Probably. There was definitely less people here than in the hall when I first arrived.

"All good things, I hope?" Phobus laughs, shaking his head.

"A great deal of complaining and confusion about why he couldn't detect anger from you. That was probably the most confusing about it all actually." I tilted my head at his words, questioning. What was so weird about me not feeling angry all the time? Wasn't that... wasn't being mad every second weird? "Ares can channel anger or blood lust in ways that would benefit him. When you're angry, you're more subjectable to Ares's words, actions, or pursuations. Just as in if you were to feel panic around me. I would have... like a grasp on you."

"That's... a bit unsettling, but that's good to know." Phobus chuckles, before giving me a bright smile.

"You know, you're not as bad as I thought." I scoffed, crossing my arms at him.

"Is that a challenge?" What in the world did Ares say to him that made him think that I was someone annoying? Was I annoying to him?

"Phobus." The voice that came from behind me was booming, radiating with power. I felt the hair on the back of my neck rise nervously, tendrils of fear prickling inside of me. The God of Panic swallows, before lowering his eyes submissively to him.

"Zeus." The name drops from his mouth like a nuclear bomb and I turn slowly, already intimidated by all means. The King of Gods.

He had a large figure, a towering one with a stoic expression. His inky black hair was slicked back against his skull, faint trails of silver in their midst. His features were angular and pronounced, with a sharp nose and high cheekbones, outlining a short beard. Piercing blue eyes met my own and I shrank back, my palms growing sweaty. Everything about him was... godly. "Ms. Williams, I don't believe we've formally met."

A lump grows in my throat but I swallow it down. "Y-Yeah..." I wipe my hand against my pants, giving him a nervous smile. Holy shit.

It's actually Zeus. The god that defied all odds and made the world what it is today.

He extends his hand toward me and I take it, shaking awkwardly. "It-It's a pleasure to me-meet you. Sir." I quickly add on the last word, not wanting to seem rude or uncultured. I just didn't know what to do... Should I bow? Get on my knees and kiss his shoes?