Chapter 10

Twenty minutes, some food, and a fresh set of clothes later, we arrive in front of twin large marble doors. It had been a short drive to the estate that towered before us. Ares looked oddly revolted at the sight of the building, but I couldn't seem to get my jaw off the ground.

It was a large, greek structure that resembled a city hall. A large main building stood directly in front of us, smaller rooms branching off of the sides. It was entirely made of marble and light stone, with twisting and weaving designs coursing up and down. It looks like... silk.

Huh. How fitting. 

"Is this where the Fates live?" I question, looking up at Ares. He makes his way up the steps, sparing me a glance. 

"Unfortunately." He grumbles sticking his hands into the pocket of his jeans. I follow after him, swallowing nervously. Rolling up the sleeve of the hoodie that he lent me--which was far too oversized, falling all the way down to my knees, covering the shorts that Artemis lent me--I sighed. 

After Asclepius made me drink and eat something, he sent me on my way, saying that all that we could do now was to wait and not strain it. 

It didn't really hurt that much. You know, if it weren't for the shooting pains that erupted whenever I tried to move my head or speak, I wouldn't even realize that it was there. 

Ares presses the doorbell and waits, avoiding eye contact with me. 

I squirm. I hadn't thought much about how the Gods and Goddess lived, especially about how their rooms would've looked like. So when Ares lead me to his room in Olympus, I was more than surprised to see that his room looked normal. If having an absolutely enormous room and expensive attributes were normal. He pulled out another hoodie from his--of course--walk-in closet. 

But, there was a bed, a desk, a mirror... Everything that you would expect. Trophies, books, and weapons accented the walls. 

I don't know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't that. It looked like the bedroom of an extremely rich person, who had an obsession with swords and a refined taste in stuff that probably costs more than my life. 

"So... Should I brace myself for anything?" Ares gives me a side glances along with an apathetic shrug. He lets out a scoff, before pressing the bell again.

"They're a bunch of cranky old women who think that they should have a say in everything that we do. It's a miracle that Zeus hasn't thrown them into a cave or something and let them rot." His eyes flit to me, a small hue of red appearing in them, showing the true hate that he felt for them. I let out a huff of laughter, smiling softly. 

For a second, he seemed... human.

"Is-" The large marble doors swing open to reveal an aged woman, with her silver hair tied tightly into a bun. She looked like an average grandma, but there was something... different about her. 

There's something about her that was... off. Her skin was oddly smooth, her hair oddly silky... She looked perfect. Too perfect. 

Her eyes went to Ares, then to me, then to the bruises on my neck. "Well, what do we have here? My, is that the little god of war?" I press my lips together, edging a bit away from the two. There's a tension between them, and it certainly didn't look like something that I wanted to be caught between. 

Ares doesn't say anything, but I can just feel the amount of annoyance that he felt radiating off him. 

"And you. Mia Williams. Eris sure did a number on you, didn't she?" I stiffen when her eyes land on me again, and I clear my throat nervously. I gave Ares a quick glance, before holding out a hand to her.