Chapter 43

Chills, that was probably the best word to describe the sensation running down my spine. They were chills, but not quite. A small tingling of dread and fear, like I've missed something important. Like I've overlooked a detail that would make me regret everything that we've worked for, like an ominous switch that would turn everything upside down.

I cling to it as we move, sending a quick side glance up at Ares. If there was one thing that I've learned from him, it was to always trust yourself. I look up at him, before clearing my throat quickly. The god of war pauses, before regarding me with interest. "Yes?" 

"Why are we here?" I say, a little too quickly. Out of ear-shot of the people, I finally have the guts to speak up. Actually, scratch that—we were in the middle of absolutely nowhere. There's dirt beneath my shoes, dry, dry dirt and large sediment structures all around us. The sun was beaming down on us, as if Apollo was holding a very deep grudge against us. "Are we even on the same... continent as Sparta?"

Ares laughs, before gesturing toward an especially tall cave in front of us. A shiver goes through me, the intensity of the nothingness suddenly spurring a brief feeling of fear in me. I could barely see into it, the gaping abyss housing secrets that I didn't want to draw too close to. I swallow hard. "You said you wanted to see him."

"Who was it again?" I try to comb through all of my ridiculous requests, wondering which foul moment was the on that landed me here. My shoe sinks into the hot sand and I feel a bead of sweat drip down my back. Did I really ask for this?

The shade of the cave brings upon a feeling of dampness against my skin and I revel in it. I try not to think about it, what might be lurking in the darkness ahead of me. "The first creatures to use teleportation were ones that had caves all around the world." I gaze up, having to crane my neck all the way to get a glimpse of the ceiling. It was as tall as some skyscrapers, yet didn't disappear into the clouds.

It was a massive hole above ground.

"What's in—" There's a sound of... metal, clinking together and something heavier and much larger dragging against the ground. The ground rumbles as whatever is in the cave approaches and it finally hits me right as it's jaws peek out from the darkness.

Dragon.

Just its jaw is the size of a school bus and it towers above us for a brief moment. I can barely catch my jaw from falling open and I merely stare with eyes as wide as moons. I see its nostrils flare, before descending down to inspect us. I don't move, completely paralyzed by the giant of a creature. I've only seen them in pictures and news stories, holy— It's green eye comes down low enough for me to gulp, feeling like shrinking into the ground. It's pupil, a steadfast strike of a line was surrounded by a halo of forest and oak shades, infinitely beautiful.

The creature drops its head onto the ground, laying down with a earth-shaking thud. I see a pink tongue dark out of its mouth for a quick second, just as a heavy breath chased it. I stumble, grabbing onto Ares's arm.

"Holy shit." I whispered. It was beautiful. With pale, beige scales that spread like armor plates up and down it's exposed neck, horns flayed backward. It was the color of the Earth, paler in a way, yet, even as I stood there, I could tell it must've witnessed the forging of these sands. It felt older than time itself and I can barely hide the shake in my hands. Forest-green eyes remain still as Ares reaches for my hand.

"He guards the hidden grove a few miles down. I fed him a few days ago so he should be obedient." A few...

Wait, he's talked about feeding before. That day, when I cut him off—he wasn't talking about a dog, he was talking about...