Fireworks

A/N: Sharon isn't annoying, or a bitch in this short story.
Summary: Fireworks trigger your PTSD, when you don't make it inside before they start, it makes Bucky anxious.
Word Count: 891

It's the 4th of July. You're in the kitchen with Sarah, while Bucky and Sam are working on the boat. The boys are playing in the living room.

"So y/n, what's up with you and Bucky?" Sarah asks you. You eye her suspiciously, "Nothing is up with us."

She looks at you and rolls her eyes, "Sure, whatever you tell yourself." You giggle and continue to peel potato's.

After you've made a crap load of food, the two of you go outside. Everyone in town gathered together. Big groups. Not your strong suit.

Sarah walks away, leaving you alone. You look around for anyone you know. Someone taps your shoulder. You spin around and see Sharon.

You hug her tightly. "Hi Sharon."

"Hi y/n." She says as she hugs you back.

The two of you pull away and sit down. "How are you? I know you don't do well with big crowds." She says.

You shrug, "I'm doing okay so far. As long as I get inside before the fireworks start. Don't wanna have a PTSD episode."

Sharon pats your knee. Her phone goes off. She frowns at it. You sigh, "Do you have to go?"

She nods her head. "Yea. They need me for a mission. Are you going to be okay by yourself? I don't wanna leave you alone."

"Yea I'll be okay. I'll drag Sam inside with me or something." You say. Sharon laughs.

You give her a hug before she leaves. Sharon flashes a smile at you before she continues to walk away.

A sigh leaves your lips as you sit alone. You decide against getting up and looking for Sam or Bucky. Too many people.

Soon the sun starts to set. You completely loose track of time. Kids run past you. You smile. "Come on mom. They're starting soon." One kid says.

You check the time. 9:58. Fireworks start at 10.

Panic starts to wash over you. You quickly stand up and start walking back to the house. Which is farther than you thought.

People keep bumping into you. They mumble apologizes and continue walking. Your breathing starts getting heavier and heavier.

Then it happens. A firework goes off. You fall to the floor. It's loud. Like every firework. Several more go off. You freeze. Your breathing becomes heavy and shaky. Your body is starting to sweat. You stare at the floor and try to focus on the grass blades. It doesn't help. 

You manage to change positions. Now you're sitting with your knees tucked to your chest. Flash backs fill your head.

Meanwhile, Bucky and Sam are standing next to each other watching the fireworks. Bucky looks back at the house and sees all the lights off. He furrows his eyebrows.

"Hey I'm gonna go check on y/n." Bucky tells Sam. Sam nods and Bucky start walking to the house.

He walks in to find the living room empty. Bathroom door is open. All bedrooms are empty. Kitchen, empty. Every room in the house is empty.

"Shit!" Bucky yells as he closes the front door and starts running outside looking for you.

Bucky knew this could happen. Now he regrets not checking up on you earlier like he should've.

He looks around for you. He finally sees you sitting with your knees tucked to your chest. Shaking.

Bucky runs over to you. Faster than he's ever run in his entire life. He sits next to you and covers your ears.

You look over at him. Tears fall down the sides of your face. He pulls your head against his chest.

"Focus on my heartbeat." He says. You do. It's beating evenly. The sounds of the fireworks start to fade as you focus on his heartbeat.

Bucky stands up with you. He picks you up bridal style and lays your ear against his chest. His metal hand covers your left ear. He starts walking back to the house. Your hands grip his shirt as you focus on your breathing and his heart beat.

Once he makes it back to the house, he carries you to your room and lays you down on your bed. He brushes some hair out of your face. He leans down and kisses your forehead. "Are you okay doll?" He asks.

You shake your head no. Bucky moves you over and lays down next to you. You roll over and lay your head on his chest. His metal arm wraps around you and pulls you closer. Your left hand rests on his chest.

"Thank you." You whisper.

Bucky hugs you tighter. "Of course y/n." He whispers against the top of your head.

The two of you cuddle. The fireworks are still going on outside. Bucky plays with your hair. Tears still fall down your cheeks. You managed to get your breathing under control.

"Y/n?" Bucky asks.

"Yea?" You tilt your head up to look at Bucky. He looks down at you.

"I love you. I'm in love with you." Bucky says.

You smile and scoot up to kiss him. "I love you too Bucky." Bucky smiles. He pulls you in for another kiss.