Runaway Bride

Summary: You're having doubts about getting married, and after seeing Bucky, your doubts just grow.
Word Count: 1.2k

You stand in front of a floor length mirror, looking at yourself in your wedding dress. This is supposed to be the happiest day of your life, yet you can't find a smile on your face. Not one happy expression showed on your features. And you have no idea why.

Marrying Ian has always been your future. Ever since you were a kid, it's been planned out. You're parents arranged it with his and you don't really know why. But you never complained.

Knowing this would happen never worried you. In all honesty, you liked Ian. He has gorgeous golden hair and chestnut brown eyes. His lips are puffy and pink. He makes you smile and calls you beautiful. You love him.

But are you in love with him.

That thought never crossed your mind. Everything has always been planned.

There's a soft knock at the door before it opens. Natasha walks in and smiles. "Only ten more minutes," she says as she walks over to you.

"I'm making the right choice right?" You ask.

"Of course you are. You and Ian are perfect for each other," Nat says with a smile. You nod with tears in your eyes.

"Hey what's wrong?" She asks as she walks closer to you.

"I just wish Sam and Bucky were here," you say. It's not a lie. Sam and Bucky had to go on a mission and couldn't make it here in time.

"I know babe. They're upset that they're missing it," Nat says as she hugs you.

A few seconds later, Steve walks in and you pull away from Nat. "Wow y/n, you look absolutely beautiful," he says.

You smile. "Thanks Stevie," you say. He smiles and walks closer to you. "I do have a present for you," he says. You look at him confused.

He smiles before walking to the door and opening it wider. Sam and Bucky walk in. They're wearing tuxedos and Sam has a huge smile on his face. Bucky's smiling, but it's not full of excitement like Sam's.

"Oh my god," you say and run over to them. You jump in Sam's arms first. He chuckles as he hugs you tightly.

Sam sets you down and you throw yourself at Bucky. He hugs you tightly than Sam did. He puts his head in the crook of your neck and squeezes his eyes shut tight.

"I think Nat, Steve and I were gonna go make sure Thor didn't mess anything up," Sam says.

A few seconds later, you hear the door close. Bucky still hasn't let go of you. "You made it," you finally say.

"I did," he says softly, "I wouldn't miss your wedding."

You pull back a bit and Bucky leans forward a bit, but pulls back to look at you. "I'm so happy you're here," you say.

"Yea?" He asks with a small smile.

"Yea. I mean, you're my best friend. I need you here to tell me I'm being irrational and stupid for having cold feet," you say. His smile drops.

"You're having cold feet?" He asks. You nod, "I feel like everything is being decided for me. My whole life, everyone has told me what to do. And marrying Ian... I don't know how to feel about it, or what to do."

"Do what you want. Y/n, your problem is that you care to much about what other people think. This is your wedding day. If you marry Ian today, knowing you'll be happy for the rest of your life, then do it. Go out there and say I do. But doll, if you can't see yourself happy with him, then don't marry him," Bucky says.

"I just don't wanna be alone," you say and look down.

"You wouldn't be alone," Bucky says quietly. You look up at him and see he's already looking at you. He opens his mouth to say something, but the door opens and your dad walks in.

He looks at Bucky before looking at you. "Y/n it's time," he says. You nod and let go of Bucky to take your dads arm.

You walk with him and turn the corner, getting ready to walk down the aisle. You look back at Bucky one more time, seeing a pained smile on his face, before walking towards Ian.

"This is good for you," you dad says. You nod even though every part of you is telling you to run in the opposite direction.

You make it to the end and Ian takes your hand and you stand across from him. His friend wanted to officiate your wedding, so you let him.

"Folks, we are gathered here today, to celebrate the love between y/n y/l/n, and Ian h/l/n," he says.

He keeps talking, but you tune him out as you look at your guests. Your mom has tears in her eyes. Your dad is smiling. The avengers are looking at you with a smile on their faces. Bucky's not sitting with them.

Panic starts to flood in you and you look around for him. Your eyes finally land on him. He's standing at the doorway to the aisle. He doesn't have a smile on his face.

He gave up on trying to look happy. Even though he promised himself he would get through your wedding day with a smile on his face, he can't. Not when he's madly in love with you.

So, he stands there, looking at you with tearful eyes and trembling lips. A pained look across his face, and his eyes... he looks like he's in a terrible amount of pain. Just as you thought it couldn't get any worse, you see him mouth 'I love you.'

Tears fill your eyes as you stare at him. "Y/n," Ian says quietly. You turn to look at him. "Are you okay?" He asks before turning his head in the direction you were looking. He sees Bucky and his face drops as he looks back at you.

"I'm so sorry," you say with a cracking voice. Ian looks at you with a pleading look. "Please don't y/n," he says.

Without a second thought, or hesitation, you drop Ian's hands, kick your uncomfortable heels your mom made you wear off, and run towards Bucky. He looks at you confused, but when you reach him and grab his hand in yours, he catches on and runs away with you.

"Fuck, finally!" Sam shouts, earning glares from Ian's side of family. He shrugs, "sorry,
not sorry."

Bucky opens the passenger door to his car and helps you get in. He runs over to the drivers side and gets in. You grab his face and kiss him. Bucky smiles against your lips as he kisses you back.

He pulls back and rests his forehead on yours. "Where too, doll?" He asks.

"I don't care. Just drive. As long as I'm with you, I don't care where we go. I love you, Bucky," you say.

"I love you too," Bucky says. You kiss him again. His hand slides down to hold your waist. "Say it again, please. Say it again. I need to hear you say it again," he begs against your lips.

"I love you," you say breathlessly.

"I love you," he says.