Alone

Summary: All you were was a bet... or maybe you were more...
Word count: 1.2k
A/n: Not a happy ending.

You walk up the stairs to your apartment. Your phone vibrates in your back pocket, so you pull it out. "Natasha?" You ask as you answer it.

"I have something to tell you..." she says. You patiently listen and feel your heart drop at what she says.

"What?" You ask.

"I'm so sorry babe," she says. Tears form in your eyes as you hang up and run down the stairs and get into your car.

6 months earlier:

"Come on Bucky. It'll be fun," Sam eggs Bucky on.

"No that's terrible. I'm not doing it," Bucky says.

"He's afraid he'll fall in love with her. That's why he won't do it," Tony says.

"No. I'm not gonna do this," Bucky says.

"It's just a game. Come on. I bet you 100 dollars that you can't make her fall in love with you," Sam says.

"Guys don't play with her feelings. That's a terrible thing to do," Natasha says.

"It's fine Natasha," Tony says.

"She's one of your assistants Tony. Your best one. I thought you liked her," Nat says. Tony falls silent.

Bucky thinks for a minute. "Okay. Fine. I'm in Sam," he says. Sam grins as he holds his hand out and Bucky shakes it.

4 months earlier:

"No Bucky," you giggle as Bucky crawls on top of you and kisses your neck. "Bucky!" You giggle when he starts to take your shirt off.

"Bucky my parents will be here in a few minutes," you say. Bucky pulls away and smiles at you. "So I'll be fast," he says.

"No Bucky," you say and push him off of you.

He hops off the bed and wraps his arms around you. Pulling you against his chest, he kisses you softly. "Hi," he says.

You giggle, "hi." Bucky kisses you again.

A knock on the door causes you to pull away. You start walking towards the door, but stop halfway. You look back at Bucky and stick your hand out for him to take. He smiles sweetly at you and reaches out to take your hand with his metal one.

He lightly squeezes your hand as you open the door. "Mom! Dad!" You say as you one arm hug them.

"This is James." You say.

"Call me Bucky." Bucky says.

Your mom gives him a hug. "It's nice to meet you Bucky." She says.

"It's nice to meet you to Mrs. Y/L/N." Bucky says.

"Please, call me Gina." She says.

Bucky nods and shakes your fathers hand. "It's nice to meet you Mr. Y/L/N." Bucky says.

"Call me Fred." He says. Bucky nods and looks at you.

"Well, don't just stand there, come in. Make yourselves comfortable." You say as you drag Bucky over to the couch.

The dinner with your parents went smoothly. They were kind to Bucky. Bucky was polite and didn't touch you inappropriately at all. He was fine with just holding your hand.

When the time came to say goodbye, you gave both of your parents a hug. Your mom hugged Bucky and your dad shook his hand again.

You closed the door and Bucky started kissing you. "Bucky." You giggle. He smirks and continues to kiss you.

2 months earlier:

You're laying down on your bed. You hear the door open to your apartment and Bucky walks into your room.

He takes his jacket and shoes off before crawling next to you. He lays his head on your chest and wraps his arms around your back.

"Hi doll," he finally says.

"Hi," you say back. Bucky peeks up at you and you kiss his forehead. He smiles softly at you. "You're so beautiful," he says. You blush and softly giggle which makes Bucky smile and giggle.

"How 'bout we order a pizza and stay in tonight?" You ask, noticing how tired Bucky looks. He nods and hums softly. "Okay," you say and reach for your phone to call the pizza place.

Once the pizza arrives, you get up and go pay for it. You walk back into your room and sit next to Bucky. You open the pizza box and Bucky opens his mouth. So, you feed him the pizza slice.

He smiles at you. "Come on sit up," you say and pat the mattresses. Bucky obeys and sits up next to you.

Present Day:

"Dammit Natasha," Bucky says once you hang up on Natasha. Thunder booms outside as lightning strikes. And no, it's not Thor.

"She deserves to know. What you did is sick," Nat says.

"Why are you so upset Bucky? She's obviously in love with you so you'll get the money," Sam says.

"I don't want the fucking money." Bucky says.

"Oh shit," Sam says. "You're in love with her."

"No shit Samuel," Bucky says. He stands up and starts pacing. "I was gonna tell her, Natasha. My own way. That way she would be mad, but wouldn't break up with me."

"How do you know she's gonna break up with you?" Tony asks.

"I just know, and she won't take me back," Bucky's voice starts to break as he sits down.

"Maybe she will," Natasha says. Bucky glares at her. "Hey don't be mad at me. You're the one who started dating her for money," she says.

A few minutes later, you walk into the main living room where everyone is. Bucky stands up and walks over to you. Your hair and face is wet from walking in the pouring rain.

You and Bucky reach each other and you slap him. "Holy shit," Sam says.

"Go. To. Hell," you say. You turn to Tony. "I fucking quit," you say.

"Y/n..." Tony says.

"You knew," you say. "All of you knew. Natasha told me. All of you can go to hell."

You turn around and walk away. Bucky runs after you.

"Y/n please," Bucky says. He catches up to you before you can get in your car.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" You ask.

"I'm sorry. I was gonna tell you I promise. I don't even want the money. I just want you," Bucky says.

"I shouldn't have agreed to going on that date with you. It all seemed so real, when in reality, it was just a game. I was just a game for you to play. A bet for you to bet on. A nothing. Something for you to do when you're bored," you say.

Bucky shakes his head, "No. No you weren't. You're my everything. You're my world."

"No I'm you're bet," you say harshly.

"Please don't leave me. I can't breathe without you. I need you doll. I can't stay away from you. I can't stop thinking about you," Bucky says.

"You're pathetic," you scoff.

"I love you."

"You're only saying that 'cause you hope I'll say it back and you'll get your money," you say.

"No Y/n. I love you," Bucky says with a shaky voice.

"Okay," you say. "You deserve to be alone."

Bucky deeply sighs as he looks down. He knows that he's lost you. He's not getting you back. He reaches out to touch you, but your not there. He looks up and sees you starting your car and driving away.

Leaving him alone in the rain.