Denial

Summary: You and your enemy, James Buchanan Barnes, have to pose as a couple on a mission. Then you find out there's only one bed.
Word count: 2.5k

As if things couldn't get worse, they did. Not only did you have to go on a mission at a gala with Bucky, who you hate, and pretend to be a couple, but your ex boyfriend just walked in. "Oh you've got to be shitting me," you mumble. Bucky hands you a glass of champagne. You take it and chug it.

"Jeez y/n, I'm fine if you wanna get drunk, but remember, we are working," Bucky says.

"Shut the fuck up," you say harshly. Bucky rolls his eyes. "What's got you in such a bad mood. Someone shit in your Cheerios this morning?" He asks.

"If you truly must know, my ex boyfriend just walking in with a girl glued to his hip," you say. Bucky looks over at the entrance and sees exactly what you're talking about. "Josh still looks like a piece of shit if that makes you feel any better," Bucky says. You nod in agreement.

Josh looks at you guys from across the room, excuses himself from his conversation, and makes his way over to you. "Bucky, he's not coming our way is he?" You ask.

"Nope, it looks like he is," Bucky says. You groan and Bucky hands you his glass of champagne to drink.

He stands in front of you and Bucky. "Hey, y/n. Bucky," he says politely.

"Josh," Bucky says with a nod.

"I'm Grace," the girl says. You shake her hand and so does Bucky. "Nice to meet you," you say with a smile, that fades when you look at Josh.

"Well, it looks like it was only a matter of time before this happened. I knew you guys didn't actually hate each other. It was just an act. Everyone could see you loved each other," Josh says as he looks between you and Bucky.

You chuckle nervously and Bucky wraps his arm around your waist. "Yep, we just needed to open our eyes," Bucky says.

"How do you know these people?" Grace asks.

"Y/n and I use to go out. Before she cheated on me," Josh says.

"Excuse me?" You ask. Josh looks between you and Bucky. "C'mon y/n. Your pathetic excuses. 'I can't have sex with you tonight, I'm not feeling good.' Please. You were just putting it out for someone else," Josh says.

Bucky steps closer to him. "What the fuck are you implying?" He asks him and you grab for his right hand to pull him back.

Josh chuckles. "I bet it was with you, wasn't it? You're the one she was fucking behind my back. How does it feel knowing your girlfriend is a whore?"

Everything happened so fast, if you blinked, you'd miss it.

Bucky's metal fist came in contact with Josh's jaw. Then, the guns started firing. Everyone started yelling at the top of her lungs. Grace fell to the ground and covered her head. You knelt down to help her up and get her out of the room safely. Then you had to go back in the room and grab your mission partner, who just screwed up the whole mission.

"You idiot!" You scream as you grab him. He cradles your head against his chest with his metal arm as a form of protection, but you shove him off.

That backfired when you felt a sharp pain in your right arm. "Ow! You motherfucker," you groan as you grab your arm.

When Bucky grabbed you again, you didn't fight him off. "You're such a god damn idiot," you say. Bucky nods. "Yep you already said that," he says.

"Somewhere out there, there's a tree producing oxygen for you and I think you owe it an apology," you say. Bucky rolls his eyes as he opens the door to the car for you.