04: surroundings

a/n: when you reach the part about tips, just ignore the fact that most of east asia don't give tips LOL

——-

"Hee-ah, I'll see you later!", Jay said as he left the apartment. I sat on the couch feeling the area, trying to get to know my surroundings. I stood up and used my white cane to guide me around. 

Knock knock. I quickly turned around to the sound of knocking. Should I answer it? No, Jay had warned me to not answer unless he was home. Wouldn't that be rude?

I slowly found my way to the door. "Yes?" I asked loudly without opening the door. 

"Your flowers that you ordered are here. Should I leave them by the door?" A voice of a boy replied. Ah, the gardenias I had ordered arrived. 

"Yes! Thank you!" I said, which was left with no reply. Yes, I had ordered gardenias to bring a housewarming smell to the apartment. 

I slowly opened the door to bring the gardenias in when suddenly I heard a voice again.

"Can I help you with those?" He's still here? 

"Uh, no it's alright thank you though." I was hesitant about this, knowing Jay doesn't want me to talk to strangers I don't know. Especially because I can't see their face to remember them.

I reached down to feel where the flower pots were and to my surprise the boy brought his voice up again. 

"Miss, are you sure you don't need help?" He asked with concern in his tone. He suddenly let out a slight gasp when my white cane fell behind me. 

To tell the truth, I was quite embarrassed. A little annoyed as well. I've been getting around myself without sight for 10 years now. Am I not able to do things on my own?

Before I could answer he took the flower pot from my hands and walked behind me. Did he, did he just walk in our apartment? I stood there somewhat dumbfounded not knowing what to do. I've rarely ever had contact with people by myself. I've been home-schooled my whole life which made things a little more awkward.

"Do, do you need help with anything else?" I turned around to what was my apartment room. 

"No, I don't think so, but thank you for your help." As I tried taking a step forward, I tripped over the door frame and tried to grab on to the closest object near me. The boy quickly grabbed ahold of my arms and helped me up. "Sorry about that" I said, embarrassed even more. "Uh, if you don't mind my cane is somewhere on the ground there"

"Here you go. Are you ok?" I started to think I really needed help. It's only been a week in this apartment and I'm already caused trouble. 

"Thank you again, sorry for all the trouble." He kept silent, probably didn't know what to say. "Oh yeah, yes I'm ok just getting used to my surroundings." 

"Are you here alone?" Why is he asking so many questions? I don't even know if Jay would approve of some guy helping me, let alone having small talk.

"No, I have an older brother. He's out studying right now so it's just me." Why did I just tell the truth? Shouldn't I have lied not knowing who this boy is?

"Ok that's good." There was a small duration of silence between the two of us.

"My names Jungwon by the way. Yang Jungwon." That was quite sudden. Introducing himself out of no where. 

"Oh, hi. I'm Choon Hee. Uh, Park Choon Hee." I stuttered as I bowed to him. He doesn't seem like a bad someone. His voice has a calm, somewhat soothing tone to it. 

"If you don't mind me asking, how long have you" I cut him off already knowing was he was about to ask. 

"Since I was 5. Stared at the sun, went blind and here I am." I found myself talking with an arrogant tone. I didn't mean it, that answer has just been my default for whenever I was asked the question.

"Oh ok, I'm sorry about that." Jungwon replied shyly. 

"How old are you?" Why did I just ask for his age. "Sorry I'm not very good at talking to people" I immediately added.

"No you're ok, I'm 16. And you?" 

"I'm 15." I had no clue he was around my age. He seemed much more mature than that.

I started to feel more comfortable. I didn't know why. "You're allowed to work as a delivery man at 16?" Oops, that sounded a lot less rude in my head.

He chuckled, "This is my grandmothers business. She grows these flowers herself. So I just help her out by delivering them." 

"That's nice of you. Oh yeah I still need to give you your tip." I was more embarrassed knowing I had completely forgotten why he was here in the first place.

"Oh, no don't worry about it." "No, I'm sorry, I got distracted let me go find it." 

He grabbed my wrist and held it for a second. "Really, it's ok." He then gently let go and started walking to the door. 

"I guess I'll see you around then."

"Alright, thanks again for your help." I replied with a smile. 

As the door closed I felt my way to the couch and sat for a bit. What just happened-