05: gardenias

Jungwons POV:

See you around? What was I thinking? Isn't that a bit insensitive, I thought to myself. 

As I walked myself out the apartment complex, a lot went through my mind. This girl has been blind for 10 years? It must have been tough for her and her family. She seemed nice. Pure innocence was written all over her face. 

I picked up my bike and rode it on the way home. My house is actually not far from here, just on the next block. 

"Grandma I'm home!" I've lived with my grandmother most of my life since my parents have been busy with work. 

I could hear the hose running in the backyard which meant she was watering flowers.

The backyard was really pretty come to think of it, gardenias and roses on the right, bonsai trees on the left. There also was a fountain in the middle of the garden. 

It was a nice place to hang around, finding silence and white noise. 

"Jungwon you're back!" My grandma came over to me, wiping her wet hands on her shirt. 

"Thank you for your help. You know, your help is appreciated but you need to make more friends. It's not healthy for you to stick around with your sister and I your whole life."

She's been urging me to go out more lately. It's true, I don't go out much because I stay at home to help my grandma out. I'm not sure how to make friends though, do I just go out and start talking to random people?

"Ok ok I will, don't worry." I headed back inside to see Maeumi sleeping on the couch. He's my dog, he's a good boy but a quite lazy one too. 

"Jungwon-ah can you help clean the table for dinner?" Ji-yeon asked from the kitchen.

"Coming." I picked up a few magazines from the table and placed them on the desk behind me. 

"So who'd you deliver the flowers to this time?" 

"Oh, it was actually different today, there's a blind girl in the apartment a block away."

Ji-yeon looked up at the sudden news. "Oh my goodness, is she alone?" 

"No she lives with her older brother." We lived in a small town so we usually recognize people around. Small matters like this were often known by the people who lived here.

"How old is she?" "Why are you asking so many questions?" To be honest, I don't blame her, not much happens around here so it's normal to ask about small details.

"Her name's Choon Hee and she's 15." "Choon Hee, that's a pretty name." She said as she plated the food.

"Yeah she seems pretty nice."  I shrugged it off and put the dishes on the table. 

"This is your chance to make a friend you know." I was afraid she'd say that. My sister was more of social butterfly. She had quite a few friends but they seldom came to our house. They usually hang out at a small cafe across the street. 

"Yeah, but what am I supposed to do? She can't even see me. Besides, it's not like I don't have anyone else." I didn't lie. There's a boy named Sunghoon who lived a few houses away. He's walked by to say hello before but I wouldn't consider him close. 

"Don't try to make excuses. How about this, tomorrow you can stop by at her apartment and try talking to her and her brother." I sat down and kicked at the table leg a bit. "If you want I can go with you. How old's her brother?" 

"I didn't ask. No, I'll go by myself, you'll end up making another friend while you're at it."

She giggled as she sat down. That evening we finished our dinner and helped our grandmother with house chores.

It can't be too bad. It's not like they'll hate me for trying to make a couple friends, right?

End of Jungwon's POV -