34: promise

"Jungwon, it's time to go." Jay said as he woke the boy up.

Jungwon blinked a few times and turned to the girl, asleep.

"Jay! Did you get to talk to her? She woke up earlier, we can bring her home now right?"

The older looked at him in confusion, "Hm?"

"Did you just arrive? That's okay, she will wake up soon, she's probably just tired."

Jay looked down, "Jungwon." He cleared his throat, "She didn't wake up."

The boy stood up and chuckled, "No she did, you weren't here earlier. Even the doctor said!"

Jay gave him a sorrowful face, "Jungwon, listen, I think you dreamed that. Choon Hee's in a coma. She hasn't waken up yet."

"That's impossible, look I'll wake her, see" He quickly sat down and held her hand.

"Choon Hee, look, Jay's here! He hasn't gotten to talk to you yet, wake up!" He continued to shake her little hand, following with no response.

"Hey, don't ignore me. You were fine just now." He took her pinky and held it.

Jay, teary eyed, placed his hand on his shoulder, "Jungwon, please listen to me, you came in here about 2 hours ago and got a chance to see her. You must have fell asleep after giving her that flower in her hand." He looked over at his sister's hand, and in it was the gardenia Jungwon had gave her.

"After I came in, I found you sleeping. No doctors, no news, no Choon Hee waking up."

"No. No, please she-" Jay pulled the boy up and hugged him.

"I miss her too. But we have to just keeping praying the doctors will wake her." He caressed the boy's head, both faces wet.

------

Walking out of the hospital, Jungwon saw Sunghoon leaning against a pole. He approached him, though both stayed silent.

"How is she?" Sunghoon said, breaking the silence. "Sleeping still." The younger looked up at the sky, "Thank you for telling me when I could go see her."

Sunghoon nodded, looking down. "She really loves you. How happy she would be if she knew you went to see her."

"You know, she'd be happy to know you did too. She really appreciates you as a friend." He paused, "I know your feelings for her. And I know there are boundaries, I actually want to say thank for doing so."

Sunghoon looked up in curiosity, "Hm?"

"Thank you for your care for her. I can be confident if anything were to happen to me, you'd be there for her."

The younger gulped, "And it also helps me feel relieved knowing that even when I'm not around, you know your limits. You have my respect, Sunghoon."

"Don't worry, once she wakes up you two will be happy again, no need to say these things." Sunghoon said.

Jungwon looked down, "Sunghoon, can you promise me something?"

"Mhm."

"Promise me, that when she wakes up, you'll be the first to see her. You'll stay with her. Be there with her at her worst."

Sunghoon looked at him in confusion, "Jungwon what about you?"

"Sunghoon listen, I have something important to do. I can trust you with her."

The older had mixed feelings about this, was this a test? What is he trying to do?

"Promise me, Sunghoon, that if she asks about me, tell her," Jungwon's voice started to break.

He tried to hide it, but Sunghoon could tell something was wrong. 

"Actually don't tell her. Give her this." Jungwon handed him a letter.

"Sunghoon, thank you for your help. Please do give this to her when she wakes up. Promise?"

He took the letter and looked at Jungwon, "But Jungwon, she's in a coma, it'll be a while till she wakes up, maybe even ne-"

"She will. Now promise me."

"I promise."

"Now go in there and stay with her. I have something to do."

Before he walked off, Jungwon took a hold of Sunghoon's hand and shook it.

"Thank you." 

Sunghoon nodded with sincerity and walked his way into the building.

Jungwon walked to a nearby garden, looking at the white and yellow chrysanthemums.

Oh Choon Hee, look at these, such a beautiful but painful sights to see. 

I promised to be with you forever. So I will make sure that promise is kept forever. 

I will stay with you forever, physically, mentally, and all so lovingly.

I will stay with you, though not as I am.

Choon Hee, my love, please don't be too sad.

I've sent Sunghoon to be with you. I hope you will learn to love him as he does you.

My little gardenia, you will soon be able to see again. 

I know it.

Your sparkling eyes will come to life again.

I will see you again.

You said you've always wanted a cat didn't you? 

Wish granted, see you soon, love.