Season One: Prolouge

"That should be about enough." Y/n sighs as they kneel down, and collect stray twigs and sticks off the grassy floor, and put them into the wood collector. They had been collecting twigs and sticks for the past two hours. The collecting part was simple, but removing the leaves was an arduous task.

"Y/n. Y/n. Y/n!"

They hear a familiar, soft yet stern voice call out. Turning their head, their eyes are greeted with the sight of a ravenette jogging up to them, "Come on, we can't be late." Mikasa says, tugging their sleeve.

"Well. . . Let's go then. . ." Y/n says, standing up and slinging the kindle over their shoulder. Mikasa and Y/n's footsteps begin in sync, as the two start to make their way through the spring filled fields of outer Shiganshina.

Y/n's gazes to the side, by a river, eyeing the glistening blue, calm water, as the two of them walk along the bank. The odd Violet or Bluebell sprouting along the skirts, giving a calm and relaxing feeling. Minutes of silent walking pass by. Y/n was unusually quiet and Mikasa had realized it.

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just... Got lost in my thoughts. That's all. Nothing to worry about." Y/n looks at her, reassuringly, but Mikasa is stubborn. An I'm fine wasn't going to cut it with her.

An uncertainty reflects in her dark orbs as she gazes at Y/n, "Are you sure?" She asks, her brows just slightly furrow.

"I'm sure. It's nothing." Y/n says to Mikasa, their lips curve up in a small, tight lipped smile. One that was enough to hit her soft spot.

"J- just take care of yourself." Mikasa mumbles, quickly lifting her scarf to hide her face, and looking off to the side. She'd usually have reactions like that around Y/n. It made them feel weird, but they never understood why.

"I will, don't worry." Y/n says as the two of them make it over the hill, and they see Eren. As usual, he was laying against his favourite tree, sleeping. Each and every time Y/n came across their brother like this, they regretted showing them that tree, "Hey, wake up." Y/n lightly kicks Eren in the shoulder.

He jolts suddenly, awake, "What? Huh? Where am I?" He asks, wiping his eyes of tears and sleep. The former went unnoticed by Y/n and Mikasa at first.

"The same place you always are. Sleeping at this tree." Y/n snorts a chuckle, "Come on. We don't want to be late because of you." Y/n yawns and leans against the tree, tired of the same old routine week after week. But what could they do about it? Make Eren be productive? A task like that was just as impossible as going to the outside world.

"Oh yeah." Eren sighs, dreading the thought of having to leave the comfortable tree. But he knew Y/n would do something about it if he didn't. So reluctantly, he stands up and grabs his meager amount of sticks and twigs.

"Let's go." Y/n says and leads the way to Shiganshina's gate. Mikasa quickly follows them. Y/n looks back and sighs, "Come on, Eren. You're slo-" Y/n squints their eyes, noticing the tear rolling down Eren's cheek, "Are you. . . Crying?"

Eren puts a finger under his eye, "Huh? I'm not cryin-" He stops, his finger catching a light moisture.

Silence ensues, Mikasa and Y/n stare at Eren as he stares at the two of them.

"Let's just go." Y/n says, continuing the walk. Eren and Mikasa follow on. The three go down the hill and into the gauzing fields of inner Shiganshina.