Season One: Chapter 29

Y/N'S POV
"I'm sorry..."

"Y/n, stay focused!" Eld shouted, jolting me back from the gruesome scene behind me. I didn't want to look back again, but I felt like I had eyes in the back of my head, forcing me to stare at all of it. I put my cloak over my head to counter that feeling, so I didn't feel as paranoid.

"Y- Yes, sir." I said, trying my best not to focus on the Female Titan. The last few soldiers' screams rang out and replayed in my head over and over again, making me feel horrible for their sacrifices. I didn't want them to be in vain, but I didn't even know what the plan was. What were they all dying for?

"Captain, we should switch to ODM Gear and scale the trees! It won't be able to follow us that way!" Petra suggested as the others nodded. Her horse looked exhausted as if it would fall at any moment, she was trying her hardest to run away from the Female Titan, the others doing the same. The captain had his usual stoic expression, not concerned or worried about our safety or the mission's success.

Levi pulled out his signal flare and loaded a round into it, making us cover our ears as he shot the flare. The Female Titan behind us halted her movement and screamed in agony mixed with pain. I glanced up, waiting to see the smoke spiraling from ground level to the sky, but I didn't. The flare didn't release any smoke. Instead, it was like a sonic ringing sound that rippled and pulsed through our ears. It was loud enough to make you lose your hearing if you didn't cover your ears, "That was a concussion round. It should buy us some time. If you don't trust me, then go fight that thing yourself. We don't have time to waste on your mistrust and indecisiveness." Levi said, making the others shudder from fear, but also filling them with frustration. I heard one last soldier trying to make a last ditch effort to kill the Female Titan, but he didn't last long before his blood curdling screams filled the sky. Chills went down my spine and my blood ran cold, the adrenaline wasn't much help and the Female Titan barreling towards us at full speed made it even worse.

My eyes flickered from person to person, my head trying to figure out the situation I was in, but I couldn't. I didn't know what to do. No one knew what to do, all of us, except Levi, "Captain... What's the plan?" Eld asked, but didn't receive a response, frustrating him even more.

"Captain..." I mumbled, uncertain. At this point, I wasn't even sure if he knew what he was doing.

The others' confidence started to wither down as they started to become more afraid, even more so when the loud thuds and stomps started up once again behind us. I gulped and continued to face forward, not daring to look back.

What do we do? The captain isn't saying anything and we don't seem to have a plan.

You could fight it.

There's no way in hell I'd win against that thing. It's clearly more skilled than I am.

There's always the possibility of you winning. You never know what could happen.

You may be right. Even so, I can't risk it. There's no telling how big that possibility is.

Look at you, using your brain. I'm proud of you. You can't just use brute force for every situation.

Yeah well, staying with someone as tactical and strategic as Levi and everything I've heard about Rayvon does help. But the question is... What's the plan?

RAYVON'S POV
I leaned back against the tree, the bark from it itching my back a bit, but it was a minor thing I didn't mind. I glanced over at Sasha, observing her figure. She was scared, cowering against the tree behind Mikasa. Jolting my eyes towards Ariel, my eyes darted from her head to her boots, and back, studying her as if this would be the last time I'd see her. She was shaking and shivering, her hands wiping her bloodshot eyes from all the crying she had done. I felt guilt and sadness build inside me, knowing I was the one that made her like this.