Chapter Thirty-Six ~Labor Day

CJ sits with Reggie as in the court room while Archie's trial happens "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the evidence and testimony that was presented in this court tell a dark story

CJ sits with Reggie as in the court room while Archie's trial happens "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the evidence and testimony that was presented in this court tell a dark story. That Mr. Andrews has a history of violent behavior. That he started not one, but two masked vigilante groups. That he assaulted an innocent boy who was helpless with two broken legs. That he went "wilding" in the Southside of town and threatened to shoot a young man in the face. That while partying with his friends in the town of Shadow Lake, Mr. Andrews ran into the woods and shot the victim, Cassidy Bullock, point-blank in the head. Now Mr. Andrews claims that it was his girlfriend's father's doorman who shot Mr. Bullock. A shot Mr. Andrews claims to have heard, but not seen. Who knows the truth of what happened that terrible night in the woods near Shadow Lake? I'll tell you who. That man. Archie Andrews may be a varsity athlete and he may be a sensitive musician. But he is also... A cold-blooded... Killer." Ms Wright tells the Jury. "Ladies and gentlemen, we know, for a fact, that Archie Andrews constantly puts the needs of others ahead of his own. We know he helped to solve the murder of Jason Blossom. We know that he offered both friends and enemies shelter when they had nowhere else to stay. We know that he punched through a river of ice to save the life of his classmate Cheryl Blossom. Let me remind you that there were no witnesses to the actual killing. There was no murder weapon. There was no motive. At the end of the day, all the prosecution has is cloudy testimony from unreliable people. Now, it is my solemn duty as a mother to protect my son. But as an attorney, it's my duty to adhere to the facts, to the evidence. There is nothing here that proves that Archie Andrews is anything less than an innocent boy. Thank you." Mrs Andrews counters. "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, the charge is first-degree murder. You may retire to begin your deliberations." The Judge tells them. "All rise." the Baliff tells everyone.

After leaving the court room CJ spots Archie walk off on his own, sighing she goes after him and sits down not saying anything "Not going to say anything?" he asks. "Nope because I know nothing I can say will make you feel any better. All I can say is I'm gonna stick by you A." CJ responds. Archie smiles and hugs her "Thanks CJ." he responds. "Archie? There you are." Veronica says walking up the steps. CJ stands up and lets Veronica sit down as she joins Reggie, Betting and Jughead on the steps. "How are you holding up, Bud?" Jughead asks. "Yeah good, Jug." Archie nods. "What were you thinking about just now? How you're going to walk out of this courthouse a free man?" Veronica asks. "No, I... There was this place. We've never been before, Ronnie, but Betty, CJ and Jug, do you guys remember Sweetwater Swimming Hole? How we went there every summer?" Archie asks. "I was just thinking about that place earlier." Jughead says as CJ nods. "Yeah, me too. What made us stop going?" Betty asks. "Uh, probably when we got covered in leeches." CJ tells her. "Was that us or was that a movie?" Betty asks. "That was definitely us." That was us." "It was us." Archie, Jughead and CJ say at the same time. "Oh." Betty says. "I'd like to go. Hopefully you can take me, Archie?" Veronica says. "Hopefully." Archie nods. "Guys, it's time. The Judge just asked us back into the courtroom." Kevin says from the bottom of the stairs.