Chapter Forty-Eight ~ Requiem For A Welterweight

CJ walks downstairs with Jellybean and hands her a cup of coffee "Just don't tell dad

CJ walks downstairs with Jellybean and hands her a cup of coffee "Just don't tell dad." CJ jokes kissing the top of her sister's head. Jellybean chuckles as Reggie, Toni, Joaquin, Fangs and Sweetpea walk in "Who's this?" Toni asks. "Don't recognise Jellybean? I guess she has grown... a lot." CJ smiles. "Jellybean?!" the four friends exclaim while Reggie kisses CJ. "It's JB now." Jellybean smiles. "Okay, JB. What's the plan today?" Sweetpea asks. "Not sure. We have school so Reggie and I are going to drop Jelly to Mum and Dad first." CJ responds. Oreo runs into the room and over to Jellybean who smiles and picks him up "You're not stealing my baby." CJ jokes pointing a finger at her sister. "No promises." Jellybean responds with a smile. "Come on, I got to get you back to the trailer before I head to school." CJ tells Jellybean. "I'll give you a lift." Reggie tells them standing up and grabbing his and CJ's bags.

CJ paces in the Swords and Serpents room when Jughead walks in with Betty "Where the hell is everyone else?" Jughead asks. "Oh, we're down another eight." Reggie responds. "Another eight?" Jughead asks. "All girls." Fangs nods. "Where are they all going?" Jughead asks. "Turns out Toni and Cheryl started their own gang. All the girls are defecting to it." CJ scowls. "The Pretty Poisons. So, what do you want us to do, boss?" Fangs asks. "Nothing. This is all because I banished Cheryl and Toni. I just need to talk to Toni, get her back into the Serpent fold, and the rest will come back, too. They need to be reminded what it means to be a Serpent. I'll make this right." Jughead tells them. CJ nods "I'll... I don't know what I'll do." she sighs sitting down and putting her head in her hands. Reggie crouches in front of her "We'll sort this." he tells her. "Toni is meant to be my sister and I'm losing her." CJ tells him. "You won't lose her. We'll sort everything out." Reggie promises kissing her forehead. CJ nods as Betty walks over "CJ, can I ask a favour? My mother is doing this weird baptism thing with the Farm. I could really do with some moral support later, Eveline and Polly are going to be there." Betty explains. "I'll be there Bee." CJ tells her.

CJ sits next to Betty as they watch Alice try on her old wedding dress "Alice, you're going to look like heaven on Earth." Eveline tells her. "What do you think, Betty? CJ?" Alice asks. "I think it's really pretty, Mom." Betty smiles. "You look gorgeous Alice." CJ compliments. "I'm so happy you decided to be a part of this. You know how much this means to me." Alice tells Betty. "Of course, Mom." Betty tells her. "Oh, Alice, I need to get those forms back." Eveline reminds Alice. "Oh, right. They're right here." Alice responds walking over to the side table. "What forms?" CJ asks. "Just boilerplate." Alice shrugs. Betty snatches the forms from Alice "Elizabeth." she exclaims. "What kind of baptism requires a signed release form exculpating the organization in case of "bodily harm or death"?" Betty asks as she and CJ look at the forms. "It's a standard form. I signed one scarier when I joined Hour Fitness." Alice responds taking the form back. "Your mother is on the verge of discovering something that some people spend their whole lives looking for and never find. There is no need to be afraid or to stand in the way of that." Eveline tells Betty. "Um, there is if she's going to get hurt." Betty points out. "It's just like Edgar said. You're a detractor. But I'm not going to let you ruin this day for Mom." Polly tells Betty. "Fine. But if Mom dies, then her blood is on your hands, Polly." Betty retorts before storming out. CJ stands and glares at Eveline before looking at Polly "I really thought you were better than this Polly." she scowls before walking out.