Chapter 44

"What the hell are you doing here?!" Mark snaps.

Seriously? Does he ever get tired of yelling at me?

"She has my permission to be here." Hunter tells his father.

I lean off of him and sit down in the chair. I scratch my head awkwardly and watch Mark closely.

"This is seriously starting to get out of hand!" Mark exclaims.

"No, you're the one getting out of hand, Dad." Hunter yells at him. "Like I said before, I'm done with the both of you controlling me and I'm going to live the way I want. Asia makes me happy and your opinion is completely irrelevant."

Mark rubs his forehead repeatedly and doesn't say a thing.

"Mark, please come talk to me for a moment." Vivienne says to her son. She grabs her son's arm before he can answer, and the four adults exit the room and close the door. I wondered what they were going to say.

"He's not going to come between us this time, Asia. I promise."

"I know." I mumble.

"Your dad has some serious issues." Nick shakes his head.

"Half of them aren't even his issues." Hunter rolls eyes.

"Well hopefully they're talking some sense into him."

"Nick, I don't think anyone can talk any sense into my dad." He laughs.

"That may be true." He shrugs.

"Well let's just wait and see." I say, surprising the both of them. My lips formed a line and I stare at the different colored tiles on the floor.

"Thanks, Troy, for sticking up for Asia." Hunter says to his brother.

"I figured if he heard me say it, maybe it would make him see things a bit differently." Troy explains. "But apparently not."

"Yeah well dad's pretty stubborn."

"He just needed a reality check...kind of like the one they're giving him now." Troy glances at the door.

"I don't even know why they're wasting their time. He's just going to get mad and storm out."

"Don't take it personal, Asia. He'd do it to anyone." Troy assures me.

I nod, not knowing how to reply to him. Mark probably would do it to anyone else, but I think his hatred for me may be a little more increased than the average person.

"Are you hungry?" I turn my attention to Hunter and gesture to the food beside me.

"No." Hunter shakes his head.

"Thirsty?"

"I'm okay for now."

"When's the last time you've eaten?"

"Asia, I'm okay." He smiles softly at me.

"I think you should eat."

"I think you should calm down," He says with a smile on his face. "I'm okay, really."

"Okay." I oblige in a low voice.

I don't know why I was feeling so apprehensive. I didn't want Vivienne and Marceau to be persuaded by Mark's words. I didn't want them to see me differently because I don't know how I would react. Although it wouldn't change my mind about Hunter, it felt nice to have someone on our side and I didn't want that to be taken away from me.

"Are you okay?"

"How bad are you?" I change the subject.

He gives me a questioning gaze.