Chapter 45

Epilogue~

"Are you sure you two will be okay?" My mother asks.

"Mom, we're teenagers, not kids. We'll be fine." Kyle assures my mother. "Besides, I'm 18. I'm pretty legal in case you've forgotten, and I'm capable of keeping an eye on a 17-year-old."

"Yeah, what Kyle said." I agree.

"Well you know I've never left you two alone in a different town or state before." She says.

"It's never too late to start. You'll only be gone two days; what's the worst that could happen?" Kyle shrugs with a smirk on his face.

"I don't even want to think about the worst case scenario." She groaned.

"Think about it this way," I say. "At least you aren't one of those parents who just leave their child wherever with whomever." 

"It's all about trust, mother." Kyle places his hand on her shoulder.

"And the fact that if you don't leave for the airport now you're both going to miss your flight." I add, glancing at my father with their plane tickets in my hand.

"Theresa, they'll be fine. It's only two days and you can call them whenever you want. We really should go because well I don't know about you, but I can't miss this flight." Dad says, gently rubbing her back for reassurance.

I wondered why my mom was acting like this. I mean, she and my dad were leaving town for two days, not two weeks. I guess it's because she's never been away from Kyle and I so far where she can't take the nearest train or car to us. But like we said, we're not babies anymore and we'll be okay.

My dad has a conference this weekend in NYC and he wanted my mother to join so that they could spend the weekend together alone. I wished that I could go, too, because I really missed my hometown, but unfortunately it wasn't that kind of trip.

They wouldn't be returning until Monday night. Today was Friday, and Kyle and I stayed home from school because Kyle had to drive them to the airport which was about a 35 minute drive from here and my mother didn't want him driving back alone. I was more than okay with that because I really didn't feel like going to school anyways.

Plus I already kind of made plans for my day off anyways...

"Okay, but as soon as we land we'll call." My mother warns.

"Okay." Kyle and I groan at the same time.

"Now that we've established that, can we go?" My father rolls his eyes.

"Yes." Mom smiles sweetly at him, causing me to laugh.

<>.<>.<>

"Hey Kyle, can I borrow your car?" I ask, popping my head into his bedroom door.

"Borrow my car?" His face scrunched up. "Borrow my car for what?"

"To go and get some McDonald's. I'm hungry and breakfast is over at 11, so I want to go now." I say, glancing at the clock. It was 10:15.

"If I do let you use my car...will you get me something?"

"Sure, but with your own money."

"Okay, fine." He reaches over to retrieve his car keys and tosses them to me. He then goes on about what he wants and it wasn't hard to remember because I was going to get the exact same thing, which was funny.

I rushed to put my coat on and soon was out of the house. It was really cold out today, and I really hated being in a cold car that has leather seats. My butt doesn't deserve that kind of pain, it really doesn't. I laughed to myself before starting the car.