Chapter 32

My mouth hung open in utter shock and so did Cheyenne and Cora's at the sight of Hunter. The three of us stood there, gaping in disbelief.

Why was he here?! How did he even know about this?

Oh right...I almost forgot Nick was his best friend. Damn.

No, this wasn't happening. This really wasn't happening, was it?

And who's this chick with him? Why is she here? I have never seen her a day in my life! I knew I shouldn't have come.

I knew it, I knew it, and I knew it! Gosh, when will I learn? Was God doing this purposely? Was he doing it to show me how stupid I am being?

"Hey, everyone." Hunter smiles at everyone.

We all gained ahold of our emotions and changed our facial expressions. I felt Matt's body stiffen, and he rubbed my upper back to try and soothe me. But I stepped a bit away, causing him to remove his hand from me.

"This is Cassie. Cassie, these are my friends." Hunter smiles at her.

Cassie?

I stared at Cassie, wondering where the hell she came from. I knew for a fact she did not go to our school. And I hated how pretty she was. She was tall and very slim; she had the body of a model actually.

She had long pin straight black hair that almost reached her butt, and electric blue eyes. They were probably the prettiest shade of blue I've ever even seen...even better than Nick's.

She had the look that would kill a girl's confidence in a matter of seconds. I hated that she was so pretty. Because with her standing next to Hunter like that, they looked like the perfect couple. I bet Mark and Patricia would fall in love with her.

I felt my stomach churning, instantly making me nauseous. This is probably why Hunter hurt Matt. Because seeing the one you love with another person sucks. But the again Hunter was the one who claimed he didn't love me, so none of this made sense to me. But what it did do, was make me angry.

I hugged myself, pressing my arms harder against my ribs. I was trying to do whatever I could to contain my sanity. I wasn't going to let Hunter get the best of me. If he wants to bring Cassie as his date...well then why not make Matt my date? If he wants to show how much he has moved on, so could I.

I just couldn't deny the pain in my chest. Why would he argue with me so much earlier today, say that he still loved me (even though I knew he didn't, but still), give me that rose, and then show up with another date? What kind of actual bull crap was this?

Seriously...I needed to know.

"Okay, well let's get to go-karting!" Cora says, breaking the awkward silence.

Everyone agreed and we made our way to pay for our games. We were going to race at least twice since there were a lot of people here.

"I'll pay for you." Matt tells me.

"You don't have to if you don't want to." I tell him, still holding my arms tight against my ribs.

"I know, but I want to."

"You'd better not still be trying to be doing stuff because you feel bad for me." I warn him.

"Just a little." He confesses.

I hold my mouth open in shock, causing him to laugh and close my mouth for me. "I'm kidding. I just want to pay for you, okay?"

"Okay." I give him a real smile.

I look up and see Hunter glaring at the two of us. I tried not to roll my eyes. I wasn't going to let Hunter get the best of me, I promise you that. I was done. We just had to move on because that's what adults do. But then I saw Hunter scrutinizing Matt and his eyes widened. I silently prayed that he wasn't looking at his neck.