Chapter 8

"Asia, I don't know why you're letting her get to you." Cheyenne says at the lunch table, her mouth full of French fries.

But I couldn't let it go and I wouldn't.

Because I know the real reason why Ashley is even talking to my brother and it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with me. I scowled at the two of them from across the cafeteria. Since my brother was now on the lacrosse team he was at the table with all the jocks, including Hunter. Everyone was so jolly at that table, laughing and joking around like they didn't have a care in world. Ashley was sitting so close to Kyle it wouldn't surprise me if she was sitting on his lap. The both of them were looking into each other's eyes smiling and then Ashley kisses him.

I think I just threw up a bit of my cheeseburger. Gross!

And it's even worse that everyone is going along with it. Why was I the only one who saw the problem? Hunter is just smiling along with the rest of his buddies, unaware of the danger at their table. I groaned, adverting my gaze to my tray of food.

"It is weird though," Cora agrees. "She hasn't really paid other guys any real attention like that except for Hunter."

"Since when is she even interested in any guy that isn't Hunter?!" Cheyenne asks, causing Cora to laugh.

"I don't know. But I do know she doesn't even like Kyle like that. She just wants to get under my skin." I tell them.

"Well, don't let it get to you too much because we're gonna get right under her skin this weekend." Cheyenne says, which is true. But still...that is my brother and I don't want him with the lowest of all low lives in this school.

Uh uh. Not having it.

"Whatever," I mutter, as the bell rings. "All I know is that they are so never getting together."

"You can't really stop them, Asia." Cora says.

"Watch me." I warn her, before stalking away.

I see Hunter coming my way and I knew I had to change my facial expression if I didn't want him to be suspicious. I quickly put on the fakest smile I could manage as he approached me. He had the brightest, cutest smile on his face that actually made my smile become real.

You ever know that one person that no matter how much of in a bad mood you are in, if they smile at you, you can't help but smile back? Well yep, I guess Hunter's that person for me. He moved closer, wrapping his arms around my shoulders.

"Hey." His voice sounded so deep and seductive, I stared back at him in awe. It wouldn't even surprise me if I started drooling.

I think Hunter sensed that I was stuck on stupid because he waved a hand in my face, releasing me from his spell.

"Sorry, I didn't hear you." I blush.

"I bet you didn't." He chuckled.

I playfully nudged him, laughing along. The two of us began walking down the hall and I swear almost all eyes were on us. It was like we were two celebrities when in fact we were anything but (or at least I wasn't).

And just like that people were already in each other's ears, saying this and that. I should've expected this. Hunter Taylor did not walk around with any girl in school unless it was Ashley. I guess it was a pretty big deal, even though I don't think it is.

"Why is everyone staring?" I mumble to Hunter.

"I don't know, they're weirdos." He shrugs. "Just ignore them."

But how can you ignore dozens of people staring at you just because a guy was walking with you through the halls? Maybe Hunter was used to girls throwing themselves at him or staring at him, but I definitely wasn't. I thought only things like this happened in movies. And my life was anything but a movie.