Chapter Four: The Yule Ball

"This is mad. At this rate, we'll be the only ones in our year without dates." Ron said to Harry.

The quartet were sitting in class, writing in their books in silence. Their seat order is as follows: Y/N, Hermione, Ron and Harry.

Snape heard Ron talking and pushed his head towards his book.

"Well, us and Neville." Ron whispered to Harry.

"Yeah, but, then again, he can take himself." Harry responded, making them both laugh.

Y/N was too absorbed in his writing to follow their conversation.

"It might interest you to know that Neville's already got someone." Hermione whispered, leaning in.

"Now I'm really depressed." Ron sighed.

The twins then passed a paper along to Ron. It had "Get a move on or all the good ones will be taken" written on it. Harry and Ron stared at the piece of parchment for a bit before raising their heads.

"Who are you going with then?" Ron whispered across the table.

George threw a piece of paper towards someone.

"Oi, Angelina?" George whispered.

"What?" She asked, rolling her eyes.

"Do you wanna go to the ball with me?" George mouthed while making weird hand movements.

"To the ball? Yeah, all right." She whispered back dreamily.

George then winked at Ron who looked offended.

"Oi, Hermione." Ron said, leaning towards Hermione.

Y/N's head snapped towards them after hearing his girlfriend's name.

"You're a girl." 

Hermione slowly raised her head towards Ron, a puzzled look on her face.

"Well spotted." She spat.

Harry suddenly sprung up, trying to get Ron's attention.

"Come with one of us-" Ron said before getting whacked in the head by Snape.

Y/N and Harry chuckled earning Harry a smack on the head too. Snape then walked away.

"Come on. It's one thing for a block to show up alone. For a girl, it's just sad" Ron whispered, trying to convince her.

"I won't be going alone, because, believe it or not, I have a boyfriend!" Hermione said, raising her voice.

Hermione then got up to give her book to Professor Snape.

"Yeah, get your own 'Mione." Y/N whispered, getting protective.

Hermione came back, pulling Y/N to his feet and dragging him away.

-------------------------------------------------

After Hermione dragged Y/N away from Harry and Ron, he brought her to the room of requirements.

Hermione was sitting on the grass with her back against a tree, reading a book with Y/N laying his head on her lap. She was playing with his hair subconsciously while an orange hue lights up the sky.

"'Mione?" Y/N whispered, staring up at her.

"Hmm?" She hummed out.

"Thank you for loving the things that I hate about myself. For helping me catch my breath whenever I overthinking little things in my head..." Y/N said.

"Naturally... You're my boyfriend, there's not a thing I wouldn't do for you. And I know you do exactly the same to me." She whispered, not taking her eyes off of her book.

Y/N looked her straight in the eyes, feeling a little nervous. Butterflies filled his stomach as he fell in love with her even more. Her eyes, her beautiful brown eyes. Y/N could feel himself drown in them. They melt into the golden rays the sunset emitted, creating their own sunset within them. Y/N could stare them forever.

Hermione gave little smiles while reading her book. Y/N's heart melted when he saw her try to keep the smile in. Her smile was so bright, every star in the galaxy would try to copy it. It was like a new kind of magic, drawing Y/N in, making him unable to keep his eyes away from her.

"'Mione?" Y/N whispered after a few minutes of silence.

"Yes, love?" Hermione said gently, her voice soft and filled with warmth which violently shakes the butterflies growing in Y/N's stomach.

"Will you go to the ball with me?" Y/N asked innocently.

"Of course I will, you lovable idiot." Hermione responded.

She peeled her eyes off of her book and leaned down, giving the H/C haired boy a gentle kiss on his lips with Y/N smiling into their kiss. Immediately after, her eyes were glued right back onto her book.

Y/N's eyes studied his girlfriend once again, a gentle smiled lacing his lips. There couldn't possibly be anything sweeter than this moment. 

Y/N knew that from the first moment he saw her, his life wouldn't be the same anymore. He would be lying if he said he could live his life without her because he couldn't. She was the light at the end of his dark tunnel. She pulled him out of the darkness that he lived in. Without mistake, she is the reason Y/N hasn't faltered and broken down. She is the reason he's still here.

"'Mione?" Y/N whispered for the third time.

She hummed a response.

"I love you..." Y/N said softly, placing a hand gently onto her cheek.

Hermione smiled, putting her book down beside her.

"I love you too, Y/N." She whispered, placing a hand over his as they stared into each other's eyes.

------------------------------------------------------------

Y/N, Harry and Hermione were hanging out in the Gryffindor common room. Harry laid on the couch, a depressed look in his face as he clutched his golden egg in his hands. He was rejected by Cho Chang, his first and only crush because Cedric had asked her to the ball first. Y/N and Hermione sat on another couch, Hermione of course, reading a book. Y/N was taking a nap, his head resting on Hermione's shoulder.

It was exceptionally quiet until Ron burst into the room with a bunch of girls supporting him and chatting, waking Y/N up. He looked pale and was completely out of it.