Chapter one

9 years later
1979

Cassiopeia watched the chaos from the window at the back of the house overlooking the large garden, workers cleaning up the grass and setting out tables. She was particularly intrigued by a man who was waving his wand over the shrubs one minute they looked plain and boring and a second later they shaped themselves into intricate designs, another man following behind him was casting charms so that they twinkled with light. After a while she grew bored of sitting and watching she wanted to help.

The young girl quietly ran through the house and out into the garden searching for the man who was working on the shrubbery, once she found him she wondered over listening closely to the incantation he was reciting as he flicked his wand. With the words in her head she moved to the next patch of shrubs that had yet to be touched, she knew underage magic was illegal but that wouldn't stop her. Although she had not yet gotten a wand she closed her eyes and repeated the spell, when she opened her eyes slowly she watched as the leaves and branches moved into the shape of a great snake. She had done it, almost anyway. Her smile dropped as flames scattered over the head of the snake, eyes wide she looked around for something to put the fire out but she was too slow.

"Cassiopeia Vega Black!" She heard the deep voice call and then felt the burst of magic brush past her and extinguish the flames behind her.

She tried to hide herself behind a passing statue but it was no use she had been caught.

"Just what on earth do you think your doing child" Cygnus boomed as he made to walk towards her.

"I just wanted to try it looked so pretty" she spoke sheepishly.

"I've had enough of your nonsense, your 9 years of age you can't just go around trying whatever you see when your magic isn't stable!" His voice was like a knife and made her jump back a step.

"I'm sorry father I just-" she tried but was cut off with a silencing spell.

"Inside now. Find your sister she will help you clean up for tonight's party" he yelled.

Cassiopeia nodded still not able to talk, she moved quickly through the garden grasping at her throat when she finally reached the staircase her voice returned and she let out a frustrated grunt, climbing the stairs and heading straight for her elder sisters bedroom.

"Cissy he did it again" Cassiopeia whined as she entered the room and slammed the door behind her.

"For merlins sake Cassie I've told you not to get him angry it never ends well, what did you do this time" Narcissa sighed moving to sit at her desk.

"I saw one of the workers making designs out of the shrubs so I copied him, it was going well too. I made a beautiful snake" she boasted.

"And then what happened" Narcissa raised her eyebrows.

"It's head caught fire" Cassiopeia half whispered.

Narcissa burst out laughing and rummaged through a box on her desk pulling out a small vial.

"Here drink this, it'll take away she scratchy feeling in your throat"

"Thank you" the younger girl quickly downed the light blue liquid and was instantly relieved.

"He said you have to help me get ready for the party" Cassiopeia shrugged.

"Yes I think that's a good idea" Narcissa shook her head.

"And what is that supposed to mean" she folded her arms.

"Cassie I love you, but last time we hosted a party you tried to wear your night dress and slippers" she chuckled.