Lost

It had been a few days since they had shut down the supercomputer. XANA was dead. Though it did come with a price, as Franz Hopper, Aelita's father had to sacrifice himself in the process.

It was the last day of class before summer vacation. Aelita was still visibly feeling down, as she was barely eating.

SISSI - So, miss Einstein lost her appetite ?

ULRICH - Sissi, don't you have your two minions to feed already ?

ODD - True, you seem yo have enough stuff on your plate so you can leave us alone.

Sissi was definitely hurt by that, and even though the group did want to move towards a friendlier relationship with her, right now was not the time.

JEREMY - I'm sorry about that Aelita. Are you alright ? Are you still mad at me ?

AELITA - I'm not mad at anyone, Jeremy, I just need some time, that's all. I'm sorry, I'm going to rest a bit in my room, I need some time alone.

ODD - If you're going...

Odd didn't have time to finish his sentence, Aelita cut him

AELITA - Yes, Odd you can have my food.

She did not say anything else, and just went straight to her room. She still had an hour to herself before the classes would start again.

As Aelita entered her room she could see Mr Puck, standing on top of her bed.

AELITA - You understand me, don't you ?

She gave the plush a good hug. If Mr Puck were alive, he would be suffocating right now.

She just couldn't take it. After all this time it was over, and she couldn't be reunited with her dad. She wanted to go to the hermitage, as there was always so many memories over there. She could not stay for long, but she could be there for a few minutes.

As she stepped out of her door, she found Jeremy.

JEREMY - Hello.

AELITA - Hello. Was Odd that hungry ?

JEREMY - Yeah, he needed a third portion. Joke aside, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone, we are all here with you if you need us.

AELITA - Thanks.

AELITA - Jeremy, can I ask you something ?

JEREMY - Yes, what is it ?

AELITA - I want to go to the hermitage, but I don't know if I'll be able to do it alone. Could you come with me ?

Since they shut down the supercomputer, she tried to go several times, but every time she lacked the courage to actually get in.

JEREMY - Of course Aelita, let's go.

AELITA - Thanks.

On the other side of the school, Yumi, Odd and Ulrich were worrying.

YUMI - Still she clearly feels bad, I want to help her.

ULRICH - Yeah, I want to, but I don't know how to ? I mean, it's so personal, and her situation is so special, I'm scared we might make things worse...

ODD - I mean, we could try to throw her a party ? It can never hurt, right ?

YUMI - I don't think Aelita needs a party, especially right now Odd.

ULRICH - What about a photo book with all of us. I mean, it's sad but we kind of are her only family now.

YUMI - Probably a good idea, but I don't know that we have enough photographs.

While the group of friends debated on how to make their friend feel better, Aelita and Jeremy arrived in front of the hermitage.

JEREMY - Are you ready ?

AELITA - I don't know, but I'll try.

Holding Jeremy's hand in on hand, she pushed the gates with her other hand.

Jeremy repressed his painful expression, as Aelita was crushing his hand in hers. He was not prepared for that, but he had to be here for his friend.

Aelita instinctively went upstairs to her former room. Even though the room was still a mess, she felt better in it. She started crying.

AELITA - Sorry...

JEREMY - Don't be sorry, you're not doing anything wrong.

AELITA - Thanks.

Aelita stayed here for a few minutes without saying anything.

AELITA - Thanks Jeremy, it helped. We should be getting back to class. Do you think you'll accompany me here again ?

JEREMY - Anytime Aelita.

Jeremy had not told Aelita yet, but Hopper did leave her something before going. It was a series of instructions to a safe and how to open it. That safe would contain the documents for the house.

During the afternoon classes, while Aelita was presenting her solution to a math problem, Jeremy told Odd and Ulrich of his plan. They would all help rebuild the hermitage.

The group of friends all accepted.

Later, when they were eating, Jeremy presented Aelita her plan:

JEREMY - Aelita, I have a surprise for you. Do you know how tomorrow summer vacation starts ?

AELITA - Yes, we already talked about it, I'm not feeling like going to your parent's place with you right now, I'm sorry.

JEREMY - No, that's not it. We are all going to make the hermitage habitable again. I have talked about it to everyone and they all are OK.

AELITA - That's too much. Also we don't even own that place legally, what are we going to do if people find it afterwards ?

JEREMY - That's where you are wrong Aelita, your father left the documents of the house to you. Until now it felt a bit like the wrong time to tell you, but you legally own the house.

AELITA - And you are all going to waste your vacations to help me ?

ODD - We're not wasting it, we're spending it with you.

Aelita was so happy. That was the only place that made her feel better, and being able to actually spend her time there with her friends would be wonderful.

AELITA - Thanks everyone. It really means a lot to me.

Over the course of the vacation, the group of friends renovated the house. Aelita supervised everything as there were things she did not want to be moved around, like her father's piano.

On the evenings, she would cook for everyone and read them the stories they found in her dad's library. She also found a picture of her with both her parents when searching around.

After a month, everything was ready. The living room was a simple room with a sofa facing the piano, next to the library. Next to it was a hall leading to stairs, the exit door and the kitchen. Though old, Aelita got used to it, so she did not want to change it too much. It was simple, with a table to eat right next to the oven, and two simple cooking grates on the other side.

The stairs led to the second floor, which had two rooms. One room which belonged to her parents, which they made into a spare room. It was already a very simple room, so they just renovated it a bit. On the other side, there was Aelita's room. It was a pink room, very clean, with a small pink bed on which Mr Puck was proudly sleeping, and a mixer on the other side. The room was fairly small, so fitting a desk for her to put her laptop was not easy, but they managed to do it anyways. In the middle of the room was a dark green and pink circular carpet, reminiscent of Aelita's first lyoko form. This was the only reference to lyoko, but it was especially important for Aelita.

Now they would all need to be ready to go on, without lyoko, and most importantly without Aelita's father. But they were all ready, including Aelita. Thinking about him still hurts, but she was no longer obsessed with it. The group was ready for their next year.