Sports

Life at Kadic was a lot less stressful since they had shut down the supercomputer, but also a lot less exciting. Today was no exception.

JEREMY - I really hate gym class.

ODD - Can't be good all the time Einstein.

AELITA - It's alright Jeremy, in two hours it will be over.

JIM - Good morning students. Today, Yolande, our school nurse, is coming to tell you about why practicing sports is important, and how to do it.

ODD - I thought that was supposed to be Jim's job.

JIM - Della Robia. You seem to be having fun, mind sharing with the class what is so fun about the importance of sports ?

ODD - Sorry I was thinking about something else.

JIM - That's what I thought. I hope these two hours of detention will help you stay focused next time. Anyways, as I was saying please listen to Yolande, I know some of you don't necessary like sports, and I understand that, but I hope she will be able to reach you.

A few hours later, when classes are finally over, Aelita hears someone knocking on her door.

AELITA - Yes ?

JEREMY - It's me. Can I talk to you ?

AELITA - Of course. Come in.

JEREMY - Thanks. The thing is, I've been thinking about what Yolande told us, and I'm wondering if I could find a sport I like. But I'm not too sure I want to do it alone, would you try to pick up a sport with me ?

AELITA - That's actually a great idea, and I kind of feel the same to be honest. Did you have anything you wanted to try ?

JEREMY - Not really, but I guess we could start by asking Yumi Ulrich and Odd. They might be able to teach us ?

AELITA - That's a good idea.

And so it started. The next Saturday, they met up with Ulrich.

ULRICH - So you wanna try and pick up a sport, and that's why you wanted me to teach you a bit about football ?

AELITA - Yes. We have football with you today, tomorrow we learn skateboard with Odd, and pencat silat on Tuesday evening with Yumi.

ULRICH - Yeah, I know about Tuesday, I'll be there too. I guess you can just come to the training session for the football team. People are nice. I'll introduce you.

After a long training session, came an even longer match. Aelita and Jeremy got to be on the same team at least, but despite their running, they were always lagging behind, and kind of felt left off. They didn't even get to be close to the ball once.

On the evening, they had decided to debrief a bit together in Aelita's room. Definitely not what either of them wanted to do. Anyways they needed to go to bed early as they would join Odd to skate on the next day.

ODD - Hello. So I hear Einstein wants to start doing sports ? Yolande convinced him ?

AELITA - It's not just Jeremy though. We want to pick something up together.

ODD - OK. I'll get you some skates and protections.

JEREMY - Protections ? Why have I never seen any of you wear those ?

ODD - They are only useful when you start. I'd put them on if I were you.

Odd found them protections, pink for Aelita and green for Jeremy, and started showing them. He then gave them skates so that they can try on their own. They obviously fell pretty quickly, but as Odd kept teaching them, they started being able to stand on it, and even move pretty comfortably. Not very fast, but they were able to not fall all the time.

They went and took a break around 12:30 to eat, then started over for the afternoon. The afternoon went fairly well, with few falls.

On the evening, they both agreed that Odd was a good teacher, and that it was better than football, but they were not totally convinced.

Then, went Tuesday, and the pencat silat with Yumi and Ulrich. They were only the four of them. Yumi and Ulrich were very patient teaching them the basis. After that they started learning the easier jurus.

Once again they met in Aelita's room at the end.

AELITA - What did you think ? I actually liked it, but I don't know how I'd like it as time goes on.

JEREMY - Em, I don't think I liked it too much. Do you have any other idea we could explore ?

AELITA - Actually yes. A girl came to ask me if I could mix for one of their dance show. Looks like there is a dance club, I asked, we can go test it. What do you think ?

JEREMY - It could be worth a try. When is it ?

AELITA - In two days.

And once again the two friends set out to test one more sport. They did not know anyone, but they had an actual teacher.

They learnt the basics, even though the teacher was less good at teaching them than Odd, they still were able to grasp how to do things.

Once again they met up in Aelita's room.

JEREMY - I actually liked that a lot. Didn't expect dancing to be this fun.

AELITA - Same. Didn't expect it to be this physically demanding either, but I liked it.

JEREMY - Then let's sign up for the club, is that alright with you ?

AELITA - That looks great.