C8: The Theory

Jaydee's POV (Present)

"Don't crowd her." warned by the doctor.

"She's gonna be a little groggy,
so let's just give her some space." she said as she continue to check my wife.

"Hey. It's so good to see you." I greeted her as soon as I saw she's fully alert.

"Frances?" I called her to get her attention she seems to be clueless of what happened.

"It's okay. You're in the hospital.

You were in a car accident.

You hit your head, but you're okay.

We just kept you asleep for a little while.

How do you feel?" The doctor talk to her like she was orienting my wife of the things she forget. For some reason she hasn't called or look for me yet, she haven't even look me in the eyes when I talk to her earlier.

" My head hurts." She responded while closing her eyes. My God how I missed to hear that voice. I didn't able to hear her for a week.

"Yeah, well, that's perfectly normal.
I'll get you something for that." The doctor told her and then exits the room to get something to relieve her pain.

"Was anyone else hurt, Doctor?" She asked out of nowhere. So, I immediately look behind me thinking the doctor is back and that hit me when I realize my wife is referring to me.

"Frances, you know who I am, right?" I asked her. Right now all I feel is pain like I'm being stabbed in my heart.

"Yeah. You're my doctor." She said confidently straight to my face.

"I'm your wife." I told her with no emotion written over my face. I suddenly feel numb like I can't move.

"Frances?" The doctor interrupted.

"Ms. Villaruel?" The doctor called me outside so we could talk.

"You said things were very good." I said to the doctor while trying to suppress my anger.

"A brain injury isn't like
a broken bone or a laceration.

Brains are much less predictable.

Sometimes, due to the way
the swelling tissue presses against the skull,

it can cause some impairment." The doctor explained.

"Some impairment?" I asked confusely.

"She doesn't remember me." That's all I'm able to say as I can't feel any voice coming out from my mouth. I feel week. I can't think straight.

"Even though she's awake, the swelling
can cause confusion or memory loss,

erratic mood swings." she continued.

"What?" That's all I managed to say. I can't take in anymore information right know. I can't wrap my head to the idea that she forgot about me.

" But that's normal." That's what the doctor said. Nothing is normal when she can't remember who I am.

So I sat there at the hallway outside her room. I sat still while letting my tears fall waiting for her to call me to look for me but morning came and she didn't.

So, that's my theory.

That these moments of impact
define who we are.

But what I never considered

was what if, one day,
you could no longer remember any of them?