5

Kerry

I didn't know what to say. My mind was spinning around in circles as Noah and his family towered above me.

I clutched the duvet in my hands and pondered over my situation. Noah and his family took me under their roof to shelter me from the torrential downpour. The storm had calmed down now and I had to immediately get back so I don't become a burden to him and his family.

"Hi! I'm Esther, Layla's Mom and Noah's little sister. And this is my ma... um, husband, Liam." Said the said person.

Esther had the same brown eyes as Noah but it wasn't as intense as his. Her long blonde hair rested on the right of her shoulder, matching the toddler's hair. She was tall and beautiful with a friendly glint in her eyes, an enthusiastic person I guessed. Her husband, Liam, had dirty blonde hair with green eyes. He matched Esther's height and he seemed well built. I could tell that Layla had gotten most of her mother's genes.

"I'm Mikhaila, Noah's Mom."

"I'm Derek, his dad."

"I'm his cousin, Shawn Bernard, love."

"Call me uncle Garry, sweetie."

"And I'm the supposed aunt, Marian."

"Weila, Noah's aunt too."

I winced at the chaos as everyone spoke one by one without acknowledging that I was flustering here. I must have even mistaken Noah's grunt as a growl. When I looked at him, he was glaring hard at everyone's happy faces.

Mikhaila was gorgeous. She also had blonde hair that reached below her hip and was tied into a braid. Her eyes were light brown like Esther's. Her attire, a white dress that reached her knees with little makeup made her look very attractive. Her eyes held so much warmth and her smile was really welcoming. Derek seemed to really love his wife as he had affectionately held her in his arms while holding her hand. Noah must have gotten most of his genes from his Dad because he was a younger version of him.

"Calm down people!" Everyone silenced as an older woman spoke. "I'm the grandma in the family. You can call me Wendy but I'd prefer Grandma." She winked at me.

By now, my cheeks were flaming hot and I was certain that if I touched them, they might explode.

"Hi." I managed to let out.

"Hi!" They all yelled making me wince and shy away once again. Noah sighed heavily.

The toddler, Layla climbed the bed and situated herself in Noah's lap. She reached for my hair and I let her. She seemed to love them when I never paid much attention to my hair.

"Guys..." Noah said while running his hands through his hair. "Give her a break, will you? Can't you tell she isn't used to all this?"

I took a small glance his way. So he noticed it? So embarrassing, Kerry. I didn't want to offend him so I smiled up at his family and muttered a 'it's ok." They were shocked at first but recovered with their smiles aiming for me.

"I'm grateful to all of you. Thank you for taking care of me." I said shyly.

"Oh we will take care of you, you are family."

My eyes widen at Noah's mother's honesty. Family? That word felt somewhat comforting and nice to hear. But I had to leave. I didn't need to burden these nice people.

"Thank you for your kindness."

"Pssht it's nothing, nothing compared to how worried my big bro had been for you. He has been–"

"Esther, stop talking." Noah rubbed his temples and sighed in his hands. The sister huffed.

"I'm sorry to worry you all." I said slowly.