7

Noah

This wasn't such a good idea, afterall. I stand outside the door contemplating whether I should knock or tuck my tail between my paws and leave.

No, I gotta do this.

I take a deep breath of the tensed air around me then proceed to ring the bell. I waited for a second. Another second and then another.

No answer.

I tried again and received no answer. Checking my time on my watch, which was 8pm, I frowned. She couldn't be asleep right now, right? I'm about to press the button again when a elderly woman greets me.

"I suppose you are looking for Kerry Loveheart?"

"I am. Is she not home? I'm Noah, by the way." I said politely.

"It's nice to meet you dear, call me Tara." Then her expression flattered. "She didn't look like herself when she went out but she did mention a walk."

I nod.

"Take care."

"You too, Tara." I smiled at her then took off in search for my mate.

Knowing this city, it isn't really safe to take late night walks. As soon as I walked out of the four story apartment, I began the search of my mate. The street indeed was filled with all sorts of people. Worry seeped in as I hurried across the street trying to identify a familiar face but I pushed it down. I couldn't spot that familiar face despite the fact that I had ignored all the laughter and chatter around me. I even reached a children's park yet there was no sign of Kerry. I walked further into the sanctuary, my gaze firmly looking for my beloved.

Suddenly, my wolf purred in joy. My senses heightened as her rose like scent hit my sensitive nose. Eyes gleaming with joy and heart beating rapidly, I walked towards the log she was seated on. I could easily see the outline of her face from the side. Tears were sliding down her cheek carelessly. My heart inhibited pain at the sight of those salty rimmed red eyes. The streetlight did a perfect job to show me that she had been crying.

"Kerry..." Her name was out of my mouth before I could stop it.

The strangled sound made her jump and quickly wipe at her cheeks. She slowly looked up, her breathing unkempt. Then surprise flitted in those gorgeous green eyes. All I wanted was to gather her fragile body in my arms and hug her closer to me so that her anguish could vanish into thin air.

"Noah, what are you doing here?" I watched her swallow hard.

"I thought I would visit you whilst my stay here but Tara, your neighbor said you weren't home and went for a walk."

I sat down beside her. "Can I ask why you were crying?" I asked softly.

Tara's words rang in my ear.

"She didn't look like herself when she went out..."

She shook her head, smiling. "It's nothing, I just..."

Because she didn't say anything further, I decided to let it go. I slowly placed my hand on her shoulder and turned her around towards me. She avoided looking me in the eyes so I placed my hand under her chin, getting a shiver out of her. I wiped the rest of her tears with my fingers as she looked at me with so much pain.

"It's ok, you don't have to talk about it. I respect your decision." She nods.

I reluctantly pull away. Silence spreads into the eerie night as we sit side by side staring at the darkness ahead of us.

"Do you ever feel so alone?" Her soft pained voice reaches my ears. I glance sideways and think about it for a while.

"If I think about it, I do."