8

Kerry

"I don't joke about my reason to live, mi amor. Te amo."

What is that language he always speaks with so much sincerity? I really have no idea. I need to find out soon or else it's going to make me crazy. I can't stop thinking about last night either. He spoke as if he understood it all, as if he could see where I was coming from. He even said that their was a reason for me to live and I had to find it sooner than later.

I close my eyes and allow myself to breath in the air.

"What is your reason?"

"You."

No, no, no. He did not mean that. He must have meant something else, it sure had to be something else. I blink my eyes to clear that memory from my head. Noah can't be serious about what he said. He sure wasn't drunk last night so why would he say something like that? I must have heard him wrong, there is no way that he would say something like that.

I focused on the sound of the waves crashing onto the steep hill, the blue swirls hit the rocks like small tornadoes. Hardly anyone comes up here and the silence seemed like the best thing for me to think. I must have sat here for hours because I had lost track of the time.

I rubbed my cold arms, taking note of the fact that I needed to keep a sweater with me at all times. While I was enjoying the peace and the quiet, I never noticed a silhouette approaching me. It was when the sound of a loud crunch shifted me to see what it was.

A wolf. No. A white coated wolf that looked about my size. My eyes widened as I watched it take slow predatory steps towards me. The huge wolf let out a small growl while it approached me. I couldn't help but move back. Wrong move. It growled even louder and moved forward.

"Please don't hurt me." I whispered, wishing that it would leave me alone and go away.

I gasped when it reached forward with a ferocious growl. Its mouth open, dripping with saliva. I could tell it was hungry.

Suddenly, I heard another growl from the bush, this one being much superior than the wolf infront of me. I flinched back as it stepped into the clearing. Its golden eyes trained on me only. This brown furred wolf was much larger compared to the white one.

I gulped. The wolf let out another dangerous howl making the white one whimper and retreat. Tucking its tail between its legs the wolf sped away.

My heart pulsed faster as the other wolf purred and moved closer to me. Those golden eyes were still trained on me, head tilted to the side as if studying me with its tongue hanging out.

"Please don't hurt me." I repeated.

The wolf stopped moving forward. Slowly, he lowered himself on the ground and continued watching me. With my rapid heartbeat, I really wished that he wasn't planning on eating me.

He purred gently and placed his head on his front legs, resting peacefully. When I was sure he was of no threat, I started relaxing.

"What are you?" I asked.

He only stared at me.

Then I realized that he couldn't talk like humans. "I'm sorry, I have this habit of talking to anything around me when I feel lonely. You aren't a dog neither a wolf then what are you? I have never seen your kind before."

The wolf chortled, its golden eyes shining like gold. Something about his eyes seems familiar. It makes me want to stare at him endlessly. His eyes are like...

Noah.

No. It's impossible for someone to change eye colors in a flash of a moment. It was just my imagination and nothing else. I don't get why I keep going back to that.

A short, strangled scream burst through my vocal chords. The wolf was now on his hind legs, right in front of me. His eyes widened and he stopped inches away from me. He made a small purr from the back of his throat. As if he senses that I am scared of him, he sits back on its hunches.

"Kerry? Where are you?" From the distance, a voice called.

"Coming!" I replied.

Because I really didn't want Max to see this gorgeous creature, I stood up to leave. The wolf growled lowly. When I glanced at him, he was watching where Max had called me from.

"Listen, my friend there is calling me. I have to go. He means no harm." He snorted at that, surprising me. "I really would love to see you again." I added then slowly stood up and walked away while keeping my eyes on his.

"I searched everywhere for you and here you are. You had me worried for a second." Sighed Max.

I grinned sheepishly. "Sorry, I was just exploring this place."

He shakes his head and grins back. Max is someone who chose to stick by my side while we worked together in the animal shelter. We just eventually became friends. He even told me that it would be hard to get rid of him. I believe he is a friend but I am not ready to disclose anything about me yet. I like to be private because it makes me feel safe.

Max suddenly taps my shoulder. His almond shaped grey eyes gaze towards a cave like structure.

"You see that? That is the wolf's cove."

"Yeah?"

"That's just what some people say but I don't believe it. I mean, if the wolf's were around they would definitely come out and kill us alive thus this place would be restricted." He said with a shrug.

Does that mean that the wolves I saw back at the cliff came from here? Probably. Max doesn't believe because he has never seen one around here and I'd rather not tell him about my experience. The white wolf sure was aggressive but that brown one though...

"What do you think, Kerry?"

"Huh?"

He chuckles. "Day dreaming again, aren't we?"

"Sorry." I said sheepishly.

"Never mind. Let's go get some food before work starts. I'm starving."

"Ok."

...

Drop a vote and leave a comment!🥺