10

Kerry

The cool breeze caressed my bare face, letting some strands of hair come out of the loose ponytail. Currently I sat infront of the barrier that separated me from the new puppy, an adorable Chihuahua.

Her skin was coated with pure white fur, so much similar to milk. Its obsidian eyes were trained on the vessel containing meat. Hesitation has been written all over her face since morning, the time she arrived. A farmer found her abandoned near his delivery truck and because he trusted Yule Animal Shelter, he brought the adorable thing here.

While I was busy taking care of other animals, this little one kept on bothering Max as she didn't want to feed on her food. He found me during lunch and asked me to help him before she starved to death so here I am now, trying my hardest to persuade the fragile creature to eat a little.

"This is useless, I don't think he is going to eat any sooner." Sighed Max beside me.

"No, it's not. And this cute little thing is a she, Max."

He groans. "Whatever."

I shake my head and turn to the puppy. "Don't listen to this guy, he just underestimates your abilities. C'mon now, eat up."

Max snorts beside me but I ignore him. The chihuahua stares at me, its tail now wagging lightly and a newfound interest lights up her eyes as she tilts her head to the side.

"You need food to recover and then your health will improve and then we can let you go." I promised.

"Kerry, how can you talk to dogs like that? They basically don't understand our language."

"I grew up getting accustomed to them." I reply with a small shrug.

I haven't been a socially active person. I have always been independent and mostly talked to the animals around me. When I was 16, I used to own a cute little dog named Lincoln. Unfortunately, he was killed by my foster mom because she didn't like dogs. My usual companions would be chirping birds, neighbour's cats and dogs. That's just why I get nervous around people.

"Hey look! He is eating!" He said loudly making me flinch in reflex.

The small baby devoured its food like nobody's business. Max seemed awed beside me with how the puppy snapped its teeth around the chunk of red meat and chewed haughtily.

"Maximus," upon hearing his name, he groaned. "I need you help with the kittens at the back."

"I shall see you during lunch?"

I nod.

Max leaves while I sit there to gaze at the chihuahua. It is irresistibly beautiful and hard to look away from. Just like him, the animal shelter keeps all sorts of animals and when they heal and are ready to go back, they are let out.

Quietly and slowly, I stand up so that I don't scare the dog and leave the site. I checked on the horses and the cows then the ducklings. And as I made my way to the rabbits den, I accidentally slip on one of the loose vines. I gasp and try to keep my weight balanced but fail all at once. My footing loses, I twist my ankle and land hard on the gravelly road. A sharp pain shoots up my wrist just as bad as my ankle making me let out a small scream.

Seems like my clumsiness just seemed to be getting worse.

Tears slid down my cheeks as I examined the large gash on my palm. Blood seeped out of the wound. My ankle throbbed badly. What's worse is that if I call for help in this part of the shelter then no one will be able to hear me.

I wipe the tears away from the back of my good hand and just sit there helplessly.

Noah