22

Kerry

I winced due to the amount of brightness evading my sleep. The sound of chirping birds made me open my eyes and the first thing I notice is Noah. He is sound asleep on the chair right beside the bedside. Hair tousled, shirt crinkled, bags under his eyes, and tiredness inevitable on his body language. He looked like he hadn't been sleeping for a while. With his eyes closed, he looked serene but the worry lines on his forehead indicated otherwise.

The room looked like a place I had already been in but it was hard to identify where, due to the throbbing in my head. The beeping sounds of the machines were irritating. I could only move a little because of all the wires connected to my wrist. There was another ache, a mild one that suddenly increased with the movement I made. The sharp pain had me grasping the bed sheet in my fist until it dulled. It hurt to breathe and swallow. Once the pain dulled, I relaxed and closed my eyes.

Noah shuffled on his seat but I didn't open my eyes. I heard a yawn from him as he stretched. I didn't know how to react to him. From what I remember, Noah introduced his wolf to me which makes him and his family a werewolf which I and every human believe, does not exist. The next thing I remember is I'm in the middle of nowhere, crying, not knowing what to do, not knowing how to prevent my heart from falling for a werewolf. Its too late already, I've fallen for him and there is no going back now. What's right and what's wrong, I leave it to God to decide.

Warmth spreads in my body upon his touch on my skin. He brushes his thumb against my jaw, softly. The gesture has me holding back a shudder.

"I know you'll hate me, Kerry, I know you do. Who wouldn't? I selfishly expressed myself to you without considering about how you'd feel and look what happened? This is all my fault. I failed you. My words aren't even enough to tell you how devastated I feel."

The door creaks open, Noah pulls back slowly. A male's voice greets Noah and Noah replies half heartedly. I slowly open my eyes and adjust to the amount of light.

"Kerry." Noah says first. Instead of paying him attention, I look up to the man wearing a white coat and glasses. He bows and straightens. It's the same man who treated me before, that weird doctor.

"Alpha, I'd like to check our Luna's vitals, if you don't mind." He said.

Huh?

"Ok, just five minutes."

"Yes, Alpha."

They were talking as if I wasn't present in the same room as them. I glanced between the two of them. While Noah had a serious iconic face, the doctor had a slight grin on his face. After their heated gazes, Noah situated himself near the window. The doctor gently examined my heartbeat, checked my other vitals, and checked my temperature.

"How do you feel, dear?"

"I don't know." I said honestly.

He pursed his lips. "What is the last thing you remember?"

"Getting lost." I replied emptily and in return heard Noah growl.

"Where did you get lost?"

"The... forest."

"Did anything happen when you were in the forest?"

"I don't remember anything else. It hurts when I think hard."

He watched me sympathetically then with a shake of his head, he walked over to Noah. He whispered something to him and then wrote a prescription. He explained Noah of the medication I needed. While they conversed, I slowly pushed myself forward in order to sit up.

I sucked sharply when I felt an excruciating pain on my lower abdomen. A pained scream was out of my mouth before I could stop it. Stars danced infront of my eyes and tears fell from the clenching ache on my stomach. Noah was by my side in a flash.

"What's wrong with me?" I gasped out while looking at the doctor.

"My dear, you were stabbed with a poisonous spear. The poison in your system will make you feel weak and that stitch needs to be healed. You should rest and you can depart this evening after your blood test shows that the level of poison has decreased."

"Stabbed?" I choked out. "Why do I not remember that?"

"Your brain went through several shocks at that time and you could have gone through coma. Your memory will be back in a while or maybe in a few days. You just need to rest in bed. And I know my Alpha will take great care of you, Luna."

I couldn't ask him what alpha and luna meant because he was already walking out the door after giving a pat on Noah's shoulder.

I closed my eyes, my fingers urging me to massage my temples as I tried to recall the day I got lost. The bed creaked and I felt tingles. Noah let his palm rest on my cheek. Opening my eyes, I could see that he was battling with himself. Vulnerability was all over his face. He swallowed and shifted closer to me so that our faces were only inches apart. The beeping of the machine increased upon my fast beating heartbeat. His warm breath tickled my skin. I was incapable of speaking any coherent language. It was hard to do so when Noah was this close.

"You're ok." He whispered to himself. He didn't want me to hear that but I did.

He leaned forward and landed a soft kiss on my forehead. My eyes fluttered close on it's own. The moment wasn't very long because the door opened once again. Noah didn't pull away from me. I wistfully wished that he had kissed me on the lips.

"Alpha, we were supposed to leave for the neighbouring pack. The others are waiting for you." The man said.

"Tell the beta to lead, I won't attend the meeting. You all can leave without me."

"But alpha, the meeting is important."

"I know the importance of the meeting but I'm not going, and that is my final decision. Its better that my father and my beta deal with this. I don't want to create problems because I'm afraid I won't be able to stop myself from killing someone today."

"Ok, Alpha. Your wish is my command." The man turns to me then and says "Get well soon, Luna. We can't wait to meet you."

He exits and Noah sighs.

"Are you hungry?" He asks while I just stare at him.

He reaches forward and wipes the wetness off my face. I didn't know that my eyes had watered. He frowns.

"Mi amor..."

I clench my hands around the blanket as a round of pain erupts from my body. Noah calls my name but I don't reply. The pain lasts longer than the one before. When it eases, I let go and take deep breaths.

"I wish I could take the pain away. I wish I could heal you, mi amor. But I can't because you're not a werewolf. I'll have to watch you in so much pain like this. Fuck, I can't watch you like this. Kerry, please talk to me."

I can't.

I'm afraid that if I do, I'd end up saying the things that I am scared to say it out loud.

...

Drop a vote and leave a comment!🥺