CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Heaving sounds filled the bathroom as I had a hangover in my mouth. I felt dreadful and everything in my belly had long left my system, I've been dry heaving for a while.

I refuse to accept that I still went back to alcohol, got drunk to stupor after so long of intensive therapy, and in public for that matter!

I've been advised countless times to keep my drinking to nothing or low, I chose low and therefore drink but never get drunk; at least not in public. To see what a vomiting mess I have become won't make Doctor Paige's day.

With how the media handles such, I can't hide this one from the doctor.

I pushed off the ground, brushed my teeth, tidied myself up, and slumped back into my bed looking up to the ceiling. I decline going out to know the outcome of a mess I created.

The media will be buzzing with pictures I'm sure. How could I be that careless! I knew for a fact that with the exquisite scent of riches as a signature fragrance, I will drag in sly foxes looking to earn a quick buck with pictures of me foolishly drunk to oblivion.

If only I could remember all I did last night, it will make the work of burying this easier for Landre, who for sure is working on it but can't fix the few that must have already gotten out.

My mother sure had a way of controlling my doings, even with the littlest action; this indeed will be my undoing. Why would I let myself be easily accessible?!

After long of laying in bed and chastizing my foolish behavior, I went down to the kitchen to get a juice for my head and stopped at the door when I saw him.

I leaned on the door frame observing him with furrowed brows. Strong well-toned back, with muscles that flexed every time he raised his spoon. I had expected someone to show up soon but not him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

Zane swiveled the chair to face me, his golden locks falling over his eyes. He yelled, smiling at me, and said, "Look what the cat dragged in!" He stretched out his hands, "come give daddy a hug!"

I chortled and shook my head, "so you're the chosen one huh?" I avoided his outstretched hand and went around the island to get my juice.

"What? No pleasantries? It's been so long."

"I recently found out that those are outdated," I said absentmindedly.

"Ah! Classical Aunt. I was told she called yesterday, from the turn of yesterday events, you didn't handle it very well." Zane took his time to speak, taking each word after the other slowly.

"When did I ever know how to handle situations caused by her?" I frowned.

"Touché" Zane chuckled.

"So, how did you get involved? Let me guess, raffle draw?" I wondered.

"No, I'm the best man."

"You are the best man?!" I forced a laugh.

"What's wrong with that?"

"I hope Rick is ready for a crazy bachelor party."

"He sure knows what he signed up for."

"One would think after so long, the tradition of sending a chaperone to bring everyone back would have ended." I shook my head and carried my drink to his side, picking up his spoon to eat.

"If it ends, it's no tradition." Zane slowly pulled me into a hug.
"I miss you." He muttered against my ear. "We all miss you."

I shook my head and hugged him back.

"You've changed." I raised an eyebrow in confusion, "You feel different. We spent the majority of our lives in each other's arms and now, you feel different. Soft, but rigid at the same time, strong but weak, confident and in control but broken."

Zane explained how I felt all this while without much effort, he said it like he was reading off his palm, slow and smooth. "I'm surviving," I argued.

"You are," he nodded. "But I'm not, we always faced it together, head-on. What's different now?"

"This is my struggle!"

"Any struggle use to be our struggle."

"I refuse to stay under any wings–of–protection!"

"I trust you will know the right thing in the end." He gave up and detached again. Zane has always been a sly fox, the calm before a storm, he was never one to engage in things that were not his concern.

Zane in as much as he was a lone wolf, was a crazy and wild person, with features as rigid but soft as a feather, a stoic face with a permanent semi–scowl that you'll never know what he is thinking, long lashes, and full lips, an embodiment of beauty. His gentle nature contrasted greatly with everything I was.

He smirked and scanned my body, "you are rocking my shirt beautifully."

"Are you kidding me?! In my house, my room, my clothes are everywhere but you chose to put such filth in me?" I looked at the ash-colored oversized shirt in disdain.

"Your clothes are too complicated to put on, and mine was closest," he shrugged.

I turned a little and leaned on his chest sideways, to pay more attention to the food. "How did I get home yesterday?" I asked.

"You were dropped off."

"By Jolie?"

"I don't know who that 'Jolie' is, but he wasn't a she. Very annoying man, he carried you and refused to give you to me, even after Margaux persisted. I could have sworn I've seen him before, but I was occupied arguing with him to leave you be that I couldn't trace his face. He had caused a ruckus here."

I swallowed hard, very annoying was one way to describe a man I knew, persistent was another and if Jolie was as middle minded as I know she is, she must have taken me to him, saying it was her only choice because I had many other choices I would rather.

I muttered a silent prayer for it not to be him, but I have never been a lucky person so the chances of getting what I want is slim.

"Madame!—Madame!" We heard loud shouting coming our way before a younger maiden came into view.

She ran into the kitchen, out of breath and panting lightly. "Madame! He is coming, I couldn't stop him. He came with so many cars and men in black!"

"Who is coming?" I was confused.

"The breathtaking and handsome young master of that night!"

"What man?!" I was perplexed and this unprofessional behavior wasn't normal. Even if I was free, nice, and respectful with my house guardians, they were always professional enough to not misuse their privileges.

"He—" She stopped talking as cold air rushed into the room, the maiden quickly turned around, and I followed her eyes to fall on him standing behind her.

Donald was standing tall in the doorway, looking straight at me. His gaze trailed down my body from head to toes.

He turned to Zane beside me without speaking. I looked at Zane who's face showed nothing.

The level of intensity of Donald's glare showed me he wasn't new to passing out threats and that many cower under his gaze but if Zane was fazed by it, he didn't show.

For some reason, the two males decided to glare at each other and entirely ignore my presence. Now, I already have other things to deal with rather than this, so I took my leave and entered the living room.