CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Zane wouldn't break the stare down and I wasn't about to but Margaux stepped in.

"Madame?" She stood by the door and called on me. "Ms. Doyle is on the line for you."

I nodded. "I'll be there."

Zane crooked his neck to the side, smirked, and winked. "Should I come with this time?" He asked.

I rolled my eyes. "Such grand gesture."

"Don't be mean." He fake pouted.

"Sorry. It's not me, it's you." I winked back and got down from the chair.

"Are you sure you can hold another conversation? Given your unladylike act, with a hangover from the night before." Zane teased.

I sneered. "Unladylike my foot. A lady is a lady. Take the boobs and ass then I'll be willing to see things from your perspective of 'unladylike'." I then waved and left.

Once in the living room, my smirk and smug look dropped. I slumped into the couch and exhaled before putting the receiver to my ear.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Ellen!" Jo's chirpy voice rang into my ear. "Are you okay?!"

"Spare me the casualties, Jolie!" I snapped.

"Excuse me?"

"On what reasons did you drop me off like some baggage at Donald's last night! What rights did you have to do such?!"

"You were drunk out of your mind! I had work, what was I supposed to do? Take you live with me? And you wouldn't even stop talking!"

I calmed down and shook my head. "For a person who always comments on the vulgarity of my tongue, I find it awfully blunt of you to pinpoint a mistake you should know I regret." I rubbed my left temple with a hand.

Jo was quiet.

I said: "We should keep aside the childish squabbles. I need a favor from you."

"Mhm."

"Tell me everything you know about Donald."

"What happened?" Jo sounded eager.

"Nothing serious. But, turns out I know less than I thought. I will not bore you with the details, can you help or not?"

"I forgot so." Jo sighed. "Classic Ellen."

"Since the 90s," I muttered.

"What exactly do you want to know?"

"Everything you can find."

"Give me a moment, there should be something in the system here. Like old  stories or research." I heard the sound of keyboard typing and ruffling papers. "Starting from where?"

I thought for a second. "What's his work?"

"Finance and stock exchange."

I nodded. "How long?"

"Ten years. Well twelve, but he made himself known as the brain behind Xoland industries two years after establishment." She explained.

"What are people's opinions of him?"

"Eligible bachelor. Those kinds of stuff, relationship status, bachelor rankings, net worth, all in that way. I wonder why I don't see you anywhere here."

"Pardon?" I asked.

Jolie: "The both of you have been together for a while now and you don't seem very particular about not causing an uproar on your status."

"I have a couple of problems with what you just said."

Jo ignored me and continued. "The point is that with the amount of time you spend together, there is bound to be rumors here instigating things."

"That's a problem why?" I threw my head back and snuggled deeper into the couch.

"It's just how these things work."

I rolled my eyes and groaned. "Is that all?" I asked.

Jolie: "Nothing else for now. But I'll check further, it takes time."

"I'm in no hurry." I sighed and closed my eyes.

"Are you alright?" Jo's voice was low and filled with restraint, like she contemplated her question.

I sighed again and for the first time spoke the truth. "No."

"...."

Nothing else was heard from the other end therefore, I changed the topic. "About that trip. Can you make this weekend work instead?"

"What?! This weekend. That's in two days!"

"Yes, the chaperone came earlier than supposed."

"Chaperone? What is that for?" She inquired.

"Nothing special, we'll talk about that later. Will weekend be fine with you?"

"Mhm," Jo exhaled deeply. "I can make it work. Renee?" She asked.

"I'll let her know." I nodded, even though she couldn't see me. "Bye."

"Bye."

I dropped the receiver and stretched my legs out with closed eyes.

Yes, the Chaperone did turn up early but that had nothing to do with the date change, it was all me.

This Chaperone I speak of is just another way of saying escort, in other words, Zane.

Like my family's ridiculous idea of glamour weddings with not just family but friends and friends of friends, friends, this also is a tradition where a member goes about; no matter where he or she resides, sending everybody home, with a private pass stating the person was there. Ridiculous, I know.

The unfortunate person is usually chosen by random from a game of raffle draw, or if my grand aunt Lola, sees you in her one too many dreams.

When you have nothing to do in your aging days than reap the benefits of what you sowed in the early times, together with acquired wisdom, one tends to see themselves as psychic.

Though, I won't be the one to tell her that like us calling her by her name, Lola, doesn't make her younger, seeing faces of your loved one in dreams doesn't make her supernatural.

"I don't remember shortening your stay here." Zane's voice jolted my eyes open, to find him seated at the far end of my white couch with golden crown.

I straightened up and turned slightly to him. "Mhm. Here has gotten rather uncomfortable for me."

"Mm-hmm." He nodded as though deep in thought. "Therefore you can't wait to leave the issues behind, I understand."

"Bite me if I crave a change of environment."

"Ha!" Zane chortled.

"You make me want to hate you," I stated.

"Oh really now. But you know you cant."

"I know I cant." I concurred and smiled my first real smile since morning, because like I said before, not only is this annoying but elegant and beautiful hunk of a man my closest friend, he is also family; in the true meaning of the word. Of which I am currently low on.

It's always been us both. We've grown together from children and therefore, I don't even remember if it was ever just me.

But now, relinquishing in old memories I do not wish to do because it doesn't just remind me of how close we were but also how far apart we've drifted.

We've never been like two peas in a pod and don't agree on the same things, but what we had was no less of a peach. In all my many imperfections and crazy glory, he still hasn't given up hope for my betterment.

But now, what about me?

Am I still hopeful?