A Dark Omen

Zelda strums her harp, a sweet lullaby echoing throughout the plains. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, and the grass seemed to glow in the warm summer heat of the sun, the breeze blowing through Zelda's golden hair. The birds were chirping and singing happily along with the medley.

She smiled, almost giggling in the endless calm atmosphere. She closes her eyes, savoring the moment as she begins to strum the last notes of her lullaby.

But she suddenly opens her eyes, a strange feeling overcoming her senses. She looks over to the horizon, where just a second ago was a beautiful, cloudless sky, was now filled with the darkest fog. Fear begins to escalate, the fog, black as ink, towering over everything, absorbing anything in its path, heading straight to where Zelda was currently standing.

Zelda begins to back away, dropping her harp as she turns and sprints away from the fog that was consuming the world itself. She runs as fast as she could, her breaths fast, but the adrenaline pumping through her veins wasn't enough, and the fog towers over her medium frame. Zelda screams, the fog absorbing her into the darkness.

***************

Zelda sits up in bed with a yelp, startling Impa who was standing not to far from her bedside. "Impa ... The same nightmare keeps haunting me." Zelda says, catching her breath. Impa composes herself, taking a calming breath, taking several steps to Zelda's side. "An omen, perhaps, of dark times ahead for Hyrule." Zelda puts a hand to her chest. "Dark times ...?" Impa slightly nods, looking away. "If that is indeed true, we must locate ... Him ..." The Sheikah leader looks towards a set of garments sitting on the dresser, and she turns, walking towards the window. She watches the birds fly about the sky, the beautiful land of Hyrule practically glowing. "We must find the reborn spirit of the hero."

***************

Impa had many guards search the land of Hyrule for any possible warriors. The reborn spirit of the hero was possibly one of the most important men in the world. Legend has it, that many centuries ago, that hero saved the land of Hyrule from a powerful Demise, with the help of the reborn goddess and the guide in the sword of evils bane. Zelda was the descendant of that reborn goddess, the mark of the triforce of wisdom imbedded in the back of her right hand.

Zelda walked about her castle, standing firm, without so much as a worry. She was determined to find this hero and prove her suspicions wrong. Impa walked behind her, the "Giants Knife" on her back was enormous and heavy, but it didn't seem to bother the Sheikah survivor one bit.

They walked over the training grounds, the blossoming trainees doing their daily routines. They all wore matching blue and white trainee tunics with iron helmets. Many were alined and repeating different types of handling exercises, thrusting make-shift weapons in the air. Zelda looks towards them, watching carefully but not really knowing what she was searching for while keeping her slow pace. "Where could he be...?" Zelda thinks to herself, her blue eyes scanning the rows upon rows of trainees.

"We will find no fully fledged heroes here ..." Impa interrupts her thoughts. "We'd be wiser looking elsewhere." She suggests, stopping right behind Zelda as she slows her pace significantly. Zelda turns towards Impa, nodding slightly. "I suppose you're right." She says, but as both females begin their way to the castle, there was a loud cheer amongst the trainees.

Zelda rushes over to the side of the wall, looking down as a pair of trainees prepare to spar. Other men crowd around the two, throwing fists in the air and urging them on. One of the two trainees had a helmet like the others, while the other had his head free of any armor, his blond hair a bit messy and brushed to the side. Zelda watched with interest as the one with the helmet strikes the blond one, but just as his wooden weapon would hit the boys chest, the blond raises his shield, blocking the mans heavy blow. He pushes back, but the man swings low, aiming for his legs. Seeing his opportunity, the blond jumps in the air quite high and lands a fatal blow to the mans helmet protected skull with the practice sword, jumping back to safety.

The crowd cheers loudly, the man falling to his knees, meeting the floor not soon afterwards, in complete shock. The blond boy takes his final victory swings before setting the sword and shield on his back. As the cheers lower in volume, a faint murmuring begins as some of the trainees look upwards, pointing and some blushing at the sight of the princess watching them intently. The boy looks up as the others do, catching the princess' eyes. It seems they couldn't look away from each other's gaze.

The daze was broken when a guard from the castle suddenly rushes before the princess, kneeling respectfully, his head bowed as he caught his breath. "Your highness. A hoard of monsters is marching towards Hyrule castle!" The guard exclaims, finally looking up at the princess. Zelda's eyes widen for a moment, and she turns towards Impa, who was standing silently behind her. "Impa, prepare the troops for battle!" She orders. Impa nods with a huff, leading the way as the guard rushes back into the castle.

"Woah, isn't that the princess?" A trainee speaks over the murmuring, a faint dust of pink on his cheeks. The boy turns towards them, interest piqued. Another trainee, presuming to be his friend nods slightly. "What's she wasting her time with us for?" They cover their eyes from the bright sun, continuing to look up at the princess. The boy returns his eyes to her, watching as Zelda takes one last glance at him before following the other female to the castle.

***************

Impa and her squad of soldiers stand before Hyrule castle, their firm wall of protection awaiting the sight of the hoard. Zelda walks beside Impa, rapier in hand. Way ahead of them, in the faint shadows of the fields, the monsters of darkness begin their march to the castle. They were being led by two powerful looking villains. Zelda and Impa, along with their soldiers move out.

The trainees back at the castle had no idea what was happening. They had the rest of the day off since the main soldiers and guards of the castle had to leave immediately for battle. Most were hanging around near the entrance or by the training grounds. Three in particular were standing, arms crossed, by the exit of the castle. "So ... I guess we just wait here to see what happened?" One of them suggested awkwardly, shrugging his shoulders. The other two look at each other, sweat dripping as fear creeps into the silence.

Hearing footsteps behind them, they turn, seeing one of their fellow men heading towards the exit. "Hey, Link!" One of the trainees call, making the boy stop in his tracks. The trainee pushes his body away from the pillar, a surprised and scared expression on his face. "What d'you think you're doing with that sword?" The blond boy, Link, scowls at them, removing the sword from its sheath, thrusting it in front of him bravely. Before any of the trainees could stop the boy, he runs out and into the battlefield.

***~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~***

Hey guys, this is the first time I'll be writing with the timeline of one of my favorite video games. The story will be the same along with a few twists and sudden turns. I thought I'd start this story with the famous Hyrule Warriors opening scene. Prepare yourselves for the bumpy road ahead. I'll be doing my best to update so please bear with me.