39 - Toph x Bodyguard!Reader

I keep forgetting this book exists skdjd oops 👉👈

I actually really like this one though, it'd make a great book (wink wink)

Prompt: Toph isn't an earth bender and Reader is, Toph's parents hire Reader as bodyguard, with some angst and fluff
Also by SmokeStackIsPan
_____

I wasn't expecting this job to work out, like at all. Usually parents will try and hire some giant tough guy with years of experience as a soldier in order to guard their kids. Not some 13 year old who just ran away from home. Well, not that they knew that.

"Toph, dear, we have someone we'd like you to meet," her mother said, knocking gently on her door. There was a muffled sound from somewhere inside the room and she stepped inside, pushing the door open. "Toph, this is Y/n, she'll be your new bodyguard."

Toph didn't say anything, just waved her hand from where she was sitting. "She's a bit shy," her mother told me, "it'll take her a little bit to warm up to you, but I'm hoping you two will get along great."

"Right, yes, of course, I'm sure we will," I said, smiling at her.

"You two can talk for a moment, when dinner is ready one of the servants will come up and get you, then they'll show you to your room afterwards." She walked out of the room, closing the door behind her.

"You sound awfully young to be a body guard," Toph said.

"Yeah well I wasn't exactly expecting to get this job-" I froze, "I mean uh-"

"It's fine, I'd much rather you talk to me like I'm a person, not a job."

"Well technically you are..." I mumbled.

"I heard that." I blushed bright red in embarrassment. "How did you even get this job anyway? Usually my body guards are men, and not kids."

I shrugged. "Well, I beat everyone there, except that last guy but I'm pretty sure he was cheating or something, my guess is that your parents wanted someone around your own age. Miss Beifong was pretty adamant about us getting along."

"Yeah my mother has always been like that, but my father never lets me out of the house."

"So, why the bodyguards then? And why so many, from what I hear I'm the third one this month."

"Either I don't like them, or they're trying to steal from us. I think it's pointless though, I never even leave the house and yet I have someone following my every move so my fathers 'oh so precious daughter' doesn't get hurt," she said, mocking something I heard him say earlier. "What about you?"

"Me?"

"Yeah, why'd you decide to become a bodyguard anyway?" She asked.

"Money, I get a stable paycheck, place to live, food, and it's about half the danger my old life was."

"Old life? What, we're you in a gang or something?"

"Oh it's uh... complicated yeah uhm, well... it was more like I wasn't... sort of..." there was a knock on the door, "oh would you look at that, must be dinner."

"Miss Beifong, Y/n, dinner is ready."

Toph stood up and walked towards the door as the servant opened it. "I'm getting an answer after dinner," she mumbled to me. "Tell my mother I like this one."