48 - Toph x Scarred!Reader

I'm realizing that I don't need to put 'toph x' at the start of every chapter lmao

Prompt: reader has burns covering their whole body and covers them up
By imp-simp

_____
I grabbed a box, setting it down by the back door. The cool breeze flowing in as I helped unload the delivery cart. The door upfront opened, the bell distantly ringing. I must've forgotten to lock it.

"Sorry but we're closed today," I said heading up to the front of the store.

"Oh, we're not looking to buy anything we just wanted to ask you some questions." Five people stood at the counter, one of them I recognized as Joo Dee, a sort of social ambassador for the Dai Li.

"Uh, yeah sure I have some time I guess." I awkwardly scratched underneath one of the bandages covering my arm, the scar tissue bumpy and coarse against my nail. "What do you want to know?"

"We're looking for a sky bison named Appa, he was probably sold by some sandbenders, and recently."

"Well, my shop deals with non-animal imports so I really don't know how to help you. There's a pet store down the street, I don't know maybe there?" I shrugged, and picked up a box one of the delivery boys left behind the counter.

"Are you sure you don't know anything? Anything at all that can be helpful?"

"Well..." Joo Dee slowly shook her head at me. "Not really, no. Anyway, if you'll excuse me I have to get back to work."

The five of them left, heading down the street. I sighed in relief and began unpacking the boxes.

It took a few hours but I finally managed to finish. I locked the back door, pulling all the empty boxes outside with me.

"Hey."

"What the-" I jumped, dropping all the boxes and turning around. One of the people from earlier today was standing there. "What, are you stalking me now?" I asked, picking everything up.

"What's up with everyone in this city? You know something and you're not telling us."

"Well... You're kind of walking around with the Dai Li, so of course no one's talking to you." I started flattening down the boxes, stacking them by the back door.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"They control everything." I sat on some of the stacked wooden crates. "I've seen enough people disappear from talking about the war, no one wants to get sent away for talking about a black market trade."

"The war? Why can't you talk about the war?"

I shrugged. "It's been like that ever since I got here. Half the city might as well be refugees but no one's allowed to talk about it."

"How did you get here?"

"The Fire Nation attacked my village about a year ago, it was... Pretty bad." I rubbed my thumb across the bandages. It took months for me to heal but even then the burns still scarred, it was too much of a reminder of life outside the walls. "Look as far as I know no bison has come through the black market but the Dai Li have been pretty hush about something so I'd check them first."

"So there is a black market."

"Don't get your hopes up, the Dai Li runs that too. Not really much of a black market if you ask me, half of it's just paperwork." I stood up. "Y/n, my name's Y/n."

"Toph."

"Well, Toph, if you have any more questions you know where to find me. Just make sure you ditch Joo Dee first."