11 - Adult!Toph x Reader

I feel like I should've mentioned this sooner for clarification, but unless it's explicitly stated, the reader will always be the same age as Toph

Prompt: Can you do one where the Reader gets sad/ bad news and Toph tries to comfort her. Adult/ Chief of police time. By Trash_Panda05

_____

I stared at the scroll in front of me, a nice silk ribbon tying it shut. My family never sent any letters unless it was great, or bad news. I was afraid of what this one was going to be.

Slowly, I pulled the ribbon, letting it fall to the ground, discarded.

"Dear Y/n, we regret to inform you that both of your parents, F/n and M/n, have perished in an accident involving the mine under their village. They have left all their possessions to you to do with as you please-"

There was a knock on the door. I dropped the scroll in shock. Toph walked in seconds later. She had a habit of doing that even though she didn't live here. "Hey Y/- what's wrong?"

"N-nothing," I said. She frowned and crossed her arms. "Okay I got a letter about my parents."

Her posture softened. "Oh, how are they? I heard there was a small problem with some bandits in their town."

Hearing Toph so cheery about them, hearing her talk like they were still here, broke me. I wiped away tears as they began falling. "They uh..." I couldn't say anything more. Toph seemed to understand though.

Seconds later her arms were wrapped around me. I sobbed into her shoulder, gripping the fabric of her uniform. I could feel her tense up, and her heart rate increase. Part of me always wanted this, to hug Toph. But right now that seemed a little less important.

She patted my head and slowly pulled away. There was a sad silence between us. "...I'm sorry about your parents," she said, breaking it.

I sniffed. "It's okay... It was bound happen eventually, I just wish I...." I sighed, not finishing the sentence. It wasn't okay though, my parents shouldn't have left. The world didn't have the right to take them from me.

Toph seemed to understand this.

I leaned against her, letting my ear rest on her chest. She grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around us both. We stayed there for awhile, the sound of her beating heart calming me down.