XVI

Omniscient

It was 6:30 and the food was ready so everyone went and washed their hands as Tammy moved all the food onto a long table she had placed in the living room. Once everything was set down she went to was her hands as well before coming back so she could say grace.

"Dear heavenly father we thank you for this day and we thank you for allowing us to experience it to our fullest extent. We ask that you bless the food so it may cause us no harm but so it shall fill us up and satisfy the physical hunger we feel as your word satisfies our spiritual hunger. Lord we thank you for being able to share this meal as one huge blended family, which is filled with new faces as our days go by. We pray all these things in Jesus' name. Amen." She prayed with everyone saying amen after her.

Almost immediately after the prayer her husband, Jr, called out his infamous saying that a few of the grandchildren joined in saying.

"Good food, good meat, good God. Let's eat!" He called out before laughing and walking over to the table to fix his own plate.

Everyone made a line so they could go around the table and get the food that they wanted. Tammy stood off to the side and watched as everyone made their plates; she was glad to increased her recipes because there were more people than she expected.

Everyone sat around, eating and talking amongst themselves when the doorbell rang. Since Tammy was the only one who wasn't eating she went and answered the door. A bright smile appeared on her face as she saw who was standing on the outside, Emrys's stepfather.

"Hey Mama T. She still here?" He asked as she opened the door to let him in.

"She's in the kitchen with her other family. Come on." She answered as he walked in the house before trailing behind her nervously, but anxious to see his baby girl again.

Emrys

"Em you can't eat all the cornbread!" Angel said as I went to reach for another piece.

"Man why not? She made it for me." I said smacking my teeth as I sat back in my chair.

"Emrys. That'll be your fifth piece of cornbread. Slow down." Jacky said as she walked around the table and took the cornbread away from me. I huffed and folded my arms with a slight attitude but I quickly lost it once I saw the look Jacky was giving me.

I went to speak but my grandmother had come in the kitchen with someone standing behind her.

"I have a surprise for youuu." She dragged out before moving to the side. I furrowed my brows before looking at the man standing behind her in shock.

"Pops?"

"Hey Pook. I missed you." He said as he walked into the kitchen with a bright smile. My heart leapt into my throat as I tried to rush and get up.

"Yoo slow down. I'm coming over to you." He chuckled as he walked around the table to where I was sitting. He helped me up slowly before engulfing me in a tight hug that I returned.

I heard Jacky and my grandmother talking quietly in the back but I was so focused on my dad that I didn't care. I finally let him go with a bright smile before clinging to his arm like a child.

"I can't believe you're here! When you get back?" I asked once I finally let him go and sat back down. He had gone to jail when I was younger, before I had gotten taken away.

"I got out last year. I came back looking for you but Mama T said you had been gone for a while. Then she called me today and said you were here so I had to come see you." He answered as he stood beside me leaning up against the wall.

"Yeah I'm only here for the day. I gotta go back home for school and stuff." I said before introducing him to my family.

"Across the table from me is Angel, she's my older sister. Next to her is Kierra and my Aunt Karen; Uncle Drew is sitting in the living room with Papa. Standing next to Grammy is Jacky, that's my foster mom and my social worker was around here somewhere but I don't know where she went." I said as I looked around for Candace.

"That brownskin beauty with a booty? She outside talking to Roy." He said causing me to laugh but Grammy to smack her teeth.

"That boy flirts with anybody." She said as she walked out the kitchen to go outside.

As she went to do that I continued talking to my dad and soon Jacky and Angel began talking to him as well in order to get to know him better. At that moment I realized how blessed I was to have two families who came together with ease.

~~~~~~~~

word count:860
edited

just a small filler chapter. the trial is coming up next