XXVII

Emrys

I was still stuck in between realms. I had been here for a while and the only person that came to talk to me and show me things was Leon. I was walking around aimlessly until I found a white door, I stared at it in confusion before opening it slowly. Before I could even open it all the way I was thrown into the room and the door slammed behind me before disappearing. I whipped around to check my surroundings and saw that I was in my hospital room standing at the door.

I looked over at the bed and saw myself, bruised up and bandaged with wires and tubes coming out of me everywhere. I tore my eyes from myself and laid them on Apple Jack sitting next to my bed in a pull out chair. She was facing towards my bed with her eyes closed and dried up tears on her face which made my heart break. I turned to the bench in front of the window sill and saw KJ laid out with bandages around his arm and leg.

I stood there for a second stuck at what I was seeing before walking over to AJ and reaching out to touch her but my hand went right through her. I sighed and stepped back before looking around my hospital room again trying to figure out what I could and couldn't do. I felt stupid just standing there so I sat on the ground next to the door pulling my knees to my chest before silently praying.

"God, I know you probably ain't gon hear me cause I been acting a fool, but please, don't take me yet. That's all I ask of you Lord, please don't take me away from my family yet, we have so much more to experience together and I have so much love and appreciation to give Mom. God if you don't answer any other prayer of mine please answer this one, I'll give up everything that isn't like you Lord and I know that it might be too late now but I'm ready and willing to change for another chance at life. Please God, save me." I softly whispered as tears rolled own my face. I closed my eyes and sighed heavily before somehow falling asleep.

The sounds of monitors beeping woke me up but I couldn't open my eyes. My throat was dry and felt tight and I couldn't move my body. I realized that I was on the verge of waking up from my coma but I couldn't do it fully. I was searching for the strength to open my eyes as the door to my room opened then shut softly. The footsteps traveled over to my bedside and then I heard the chair squeak slightly letting me know someone was next to me. The person placed their hand on my forehead and used their other hand to grab mine.

"Hey Emmy, I hope you can hear me in there. We miss you out here, these past 3 months haven't been the same without you." I heard the person say and I immediately knew it was Vicky.

" I graduate in three weeks and I really need you there, you gotta wake up lil ugly. I can't do this without you. Everyone's so different without you, Keon's went mute and KJ cut off all his hair, mommy and the aunts haven't been singing at all and I haven't heard from Chrisette in weeks. Bestie if you can hear me in there give me a sign please, I'm starting to lose hope and I don't want to." I heard her vent and from her tone I could tell she was crying.

I felt her brush her thumb over the scar in my eyebrow I had from my last accident and squeeze my hand three times softly. I gathered all the strength I had and squeezed her hand back three times which made her gasp and cry harder than she already was.

"Em you gotta wake up.. Please I can't do this without you, I need you." She cried before laying her head on my bandaged chest.

I found the strength to squeeze her hand again before finding more strength to slightly crack my eyes open. Vicky's head was facing away from me so she didn't see me but it didn't matter to me. I knew I was awake, I knew I was making progress and that meant that God heard my cry and answered my prayers so now I had to keep my promise to him.

I slowly closed my eyes no longer having the strength to keep them open and went back to sleep holding on tightly to Vicky's hand.

It felt like months had passed before I woke up again and this time I heard Mom singing softly to herself which she only does after she finished praying. My eyes no longer felt like they weighed a ton so I slowly cracked them open getting used to the light. I blinked a few times before looking over at Mom, she was sitting by the window looking outside. I looked down beside me and saw the bedside remote so I reached my hand over and clicked the button for the lights making the turn off which grabbed Mom's attention immediately.

She gasped and started crying as she made her way over to me. The ventilator was bothering me so I clicked the nurses button for someone to come help before reaching out towards Mom. She took my hand and held it tightly before placing her other hand on my cheek, thanking God that I had pulled through once again.

~~~~~~~

word count: 963

edited