XXVI

Karen

It had been almost 3 hours and there was still no update from the doctors. Everytime we asked we got told the same thing. Em was still in surgery and we would be given an update soon.

Jacky ended up crying herself to sleep in my lap as Dorinda and Twinkie consistently prayed. The boys had also fallen asleep leaning on each other, scared to death to lose the one thing we all loved equally, Emrys. The room had been filled with silence for a while beside the constant praying, but it was soon interrupted as a doctor came in the room removing his surgical cap. I shook the boys as well as Jacky waking them up to hear whatever news was coming our way.

"I apologize for such the long wait. I'm Dr. Nelson. I was the surgeon for Emrys for the past few hours." He stated as he sat down in the chair across from us all.

"Is she gon be aight?" KJ asked shakily causing me to rub his back.

"Well we got her stabilized and was able to remove seven of the eight bullets that hit her. The eighth bullet was a through and through so it exited her body when she got shot. We also gave her a blood transfusion because she lost quite a lot of blood." He explained.

"But she gon make it? Right? She has to make it." Keon jumped in making me hold his hand in comfort as Twinkie and Dorinda did the same to Jacky.

"We've induced her into a coma so her body could heal but other than that she will make a full recovery." He explained making us let out a breath none of us knew we were holding.

"How long will this coma last?" Jacky asked softly as tears welled up in her eyes.

"No longer than three weeks but when she's ready to wake up she will. I understand your concern, with her previously being in an induced coma but I promise you, its only to help her heal. Its not caused by any type of damage or injury, it's strictly for her healing process." He reassured her with a smile.

"Alright, thank you." Jacky said as she wiped her eyes dry.

"The nurses are getting her set up in a room now so as soon as you can go see her I'll come back and get you all. We usually only allow one family member to stay overnight with her but two of you can stay. I'll make that exception for you." He said as he stood up to walk out of the door.

"Thank you so much doctor." I responded causing him to smile.

"Its no problem, honestly. I was her surgeon after her fall and I know how much she all means to you. Its only fair that I allow you to be with her at this time." He said before walking out of the room and leaving us alone.

"I'm gonna take the boys home to get cleaned up and I'll stop by your house and you some clothes Jacky. I'll be back y'all." I said as I got up with boys to run them home.

"Mama J, is it okay if one of us stays overnight with you? We'd rotate days but we really wanna be here with E." KJ asked softly causing us to smile softy.

"Of course you can sweetheart. Just tell ya auntie you gon be up here with me so she knows." Jacky replied causing him to nod.

"Yes ma'am I will." He responded before we left.

I ran them home and let them get changed as well as pack a bag because Keon wanted to stay with me while KJ was at the hospital. Then we ran to Jacky's and grabbed her some stuff along with food for everyone before heading back to the hospital.

Twinkie had texted me her room number so when we arrived we all rushed up to where she was. We walked in a my eyes landed on Jacky praying over Emrys' body and it was like I was living the same moment over again. She had tubes coming out of her mouth and nose and her head was wrapped in bandages causing my heart to break as I allowed myself to finally feel my emotions. I quickly walked out of the room and into to the hallway as I finally let my tears flow.

I had been trying to be strong for everyone else but was ignoring my true feelings, Emrys meant as much to me as Vicky and seeing her like this again absolutely broke my heart. Someone so young doesn't deserve to be put through the hell she's been through. All I could think about was how strong and resilient she was and much hurt we all would feel if we lost her right now.

"God you've worked miracles before. Please... I'm begging you. Please do it right now." I whispered as I held my heart and hung my head with tears racing down my face.

"We need it right now Lord. Please, save her."

~~~~~

word count: 857

edited