XVII

~~~~~

Jacky

Its been two days since we came back to Detroit and I've been running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to prepare for this trial. Today was the day Emrys would have to face the man who tried to kill her and it had her anxiety shooting through the roof. She began having night terrors when we came back home so we both were sleep deprived but too nervous to sleep. I was able to get a few naps in here and there but I never stayed asleep long because I didn't want to leave Em alone for too long.

It was the day of the trial and Emrys had gotten little to no sleep due to her having a panic attack in the middle of the night. She had finally fallen asleep around 5:30 but the trial was at 10 so she only got a few hours of sleep. I woke her up at 8:15 and we both began getting ready before leaving out of the house at 9.

The car ride to the courthouse was mostly silent besides the radio playing.We stopped beforehand and got some coffee just to give us a little energy but it honestly wasn't working. We were both drained and you could tell by just looking at us. When we arrived to the courthouse the whole family was practically in the parking lot waiting for us.

I parked next to Karen's car and took one last sip from my coffee before stepping out of the car. Angel and Nikki went to Emmy's side and helped her out as I went and greeted my sisters.

"How y'all feeling this morning?" I asked as I hugged them one by one.

"We're alright. How have you and Em been holding up?" Karen asked as she hugged me back.

"We are so tired. Barely been getting any sleep these past few days but hopefully that'll change soon." I replied with a tired smile.

We stood around talking for a few more seconds before Candace came out and got us. Emrys clung to my side as we followed Candace into the courtroom and once we crossed the threshold I felt Emrys hold onto me a little tighter.

I looked over at her and saw that her grip on her cane was tight as well and her breaths were becoming a little rigid. We were the last ones to walk in so I stopped walking and turned her towards me so I could calm her down. Her eyes showed every emotion she was feeling at the moment, anxiousness, fear, slight anger. Everything.

"Hey, everything will be alright." I said softly as I placed my hands on her cheeks. Her eyes slightly welled up with tears but she took in a deep breath and blinked them away before nodding.

"You alright or you need a few more seconds?" I asked as I smoothed out her shirt a little bit.

"Can I have a hug?" She asked softly. Her voice cracked slightly as her emotions got the best of her and it made my heart break.

I nodded and immediately engulfed her in a tight hug that she returned to the best of her abilities. I rocked her from side to side before letting go and kissing her forehead. I grabbed her free hand and lead her over to where she was supposed to sit before sitting down in the pew right behind her.

The jury had filed in soon after we sat down and a few moments after Emrys's former foster parents were brought in by some police officers. She tensed up so I reached forward and placed my hand on her shoulder to offer a little comfort while I still could. About a minute later we were standing up as the judge walked in and sat down.

He quickly read through his trial notes before looking up and speaking.

"Mr and Mrs Jones you are here today because you are being charged with attempted murder in the second degree, child endangerment and arson. How do you plea?" He asked while looking over at them.

"Guilty your honor." Their lawyer answered without missing a beat. I let out a breath I had no idea I was holding and I closed my eyes for a second to collect myself.

"Alright call your first witness to the stand for questioning." The judge replied causing the lawyer to nod and walk around the table.

"We call Emrys Jackson to the stand." He announced causing Emrys to take a deep breath before slowly standing up and walking over to the stand.

Lord be with us.

~~~~~
word count:777 (hallelujaahhh)
edited

follow my spam page on ig yall😭 i be posting stuff about the books on there @/fatalbertsleftnut