XX

(time skip)

A few months later

Jacky

We had finally made it to the end of the trial and I can say that this was not an easy experience at all. From the anxiety, to gaslighting lawyers and rude jury members I'm glad we're about to say that its all over.

Today was the day we would get the verdict and honestly everyone was on edge. The trial wasn't until 2:30 and it's only 10 o'clock so I've been ripping and running trying to keep myself busy. Emrys had finished physical therapy and healed up nicely so she was in school for half the day to keep her distracted and busy as well.

I went and got my nails and feet done along with my hair. I went an got a car wash then sat with Karen for a while before making my way to the school to pick Em up.

Since her 18th birthday passed she was able to sign herself out and was waiting outside for me as I pulled up. I slowed down to a stop and allowed to get in before continuing my drive back home.

"How was school?" I asked once she was in and settled.

"It was okay. There was a fight second period so they were doing hall sweeps today." She replied with a sigh.

"I still can't walk as fast so I almost got caught in one." She continued making me hum in response.

"How are you feeling?" I questioned even though I was certain I knew the answer.

"I feel okay. Glad this is almost over with." She responded mumbling the last sentence. I nodded in agreement as I pulled into our neighborhood.

The last minute or so of the car ride was silent with the exception of the radio and once I parked in the driveway she hopped out quickly to go inside. I got it and followed behind her as she unlocked the doors and went inside.

Once we were inside she dropped her bag in the couch and went straight to the kitchen looking for something to eat. She was diagnosed with an eating disorder early on in the trial, sometimes she wouldn't eat for days and other times she couldn't stop eating to save her life.

I walked past and saw her eating grapes directly out of the refrigerator and it made me chuckle; she had them stuffed in her cheeks like a chipmunk. I went to my room to start getting ready for the trial when my phone rang. I answered it without looking and was met with Karen looking sad and Dorinda's mouth fussing about something.

"Cause I can definitely call some of the girls from the church and they can handle her!" She exclaimed to Karen making her sigh.

"What's going on?" I asked in confusion.

"Aavya cheated on Vicky! That's what's going on!" Dorinda responded angrily.

"She what?! Emrys!!" I called out.

"Ma'am?!" She asked as she peeked into my room.

"What's going on with Aavya and Vicky?" I asked causing her face to drop.

"That ain't my business to tell Mama. Plus I'm worried bout me and mine at the moment." She responded with a slight shrug.