3. Pretty Please With Murderers On Top?

Gabrielle was fussing over Valkyrie, brushing her hair and babbling on about how exciting it all was. Valkyrie just sat there, staring at herself in the mirror and smiling and nodding when she needed to.

God, she looked awful. Her eyes had dark shadows around them and her cheeks were sunken. She looked unhealthy and tired. Yep, definitely tired.

She hadn't slept much the night before, constantly tossing and turning. She'd shed so many tears that by midnight she'd had none left. She hated keeping things from Skulduggery, and he deserved to know this secret. But every time she thought she would finally have the guts to tell him, she would chicken out. The guilt was beginning to eat her alive...

Gabrielle put the brush down when a cry sounded from upstairs. Valkyrie sighed.

"I better go and check on Sophie," she mumbled to Gabrielle, and the blonde girl nodded.

Valkyrie stood, and walked out the door, her dark hair hanging loose over her slim shoulders. She climbed the stairs and sighed as Sophie wailed again.

"I'm coming Soph!" She called and opened the door to her baby's room.

Sophie was lying in her cot, screaming and crying. Valkyrie walked over and scooped her up into her arms. She rocked back and forth on her heels.

"Shh, it's okay. Shhh..."

Sophie stopped crying and looked up at her mother with big brown eyes. Valkyrie smiled.

She was a beautiful child, everyone who had seen her thought she was. Valkyrie gently stroked her cheek with her thumb just as Skulduggery walked through the door. Valkyrie and Gabrielle smiled in greeting and he grinned, standing beside Valkyrie and staring down at the baby in her arms.

"Hello little one," he cooed, ticking her tummy. Sophie gurgled and Valkyrie handed her daughter over to Skulduggery. Gabrielle winked at Valkyrie and left the room, shutting the door behind her.

"Why was she crying?" He asked, not taking his eyes off the child.

"I think she's hungry," Valkyrie replied, stepping closer to him. Skulduggery handed Sophie back to her.

"We'd better feed her then."

***

"Come on! Just have one more!"

Claret had a bottle of wine in one hand and a glass in the other. She was draped out over a chair, obviously drunk, and was trying to convince Erskine to take a shot.

"No, I'm alright thanks," he replied.

"Aww come on! Just one! This is a celebration! Don't be a buzzkill!"

Erskine sighed and forced a fake smile onto his face, nodding to Claret. She grinned and poured some of the alcohol into the glass, handing it to him. Hesmiled his thanks and took a long swig. Just one, he told himself.Claret stood up and stumbled over to him.

"What do you say we move this party upstairs?" She giggled, playing with the hem of his shirt. Ravel cleared his throat and took a step back.

"Not tonight."

Claret looked up at him with sad eyes.
"Please? Pretty please with murderers on top?"

She tried the puppy dog eyes, even though she knew it never worked with him.

"No, Claret."

She pouted.
"This is a special occasion though! Just think, in another year or so we will have the power to rule the entire world!"

"Skulduggery and Valkyrie's child..." Ravel breathed. "This one better be a Goddess, otherwise the whole plan is ruined because my 'friends' can't fuck good enough to have a powerful baby."

Claret laughed at his choice of words.
"You're so funny Erskine..." She giggled and skipped away.

Ravel had to force himself not to look at her bum as she did so... No, even if he did love her he wouldn't take advantage of her when she was drunk.

He may have been evil, but he wasn't that cruel...

***

Once Sophie had been fed and was fast asleep in her cot again, Valkyrie escaped to the bathroom.

She locked the door and went straight to the mirror, examining herself in it. As soon as she saw herself, she broke down, falling to her knees and sobbing into her hands.

"I am so sorry baby," she whispered. "So sorry..."

She cried for ages and eventually ended up leaning against the wall with her head between her knees, her heart aching for her unborn child. Her head felt foggy and she had the sudden urge to throw up again.

When she finally managed to pull herself together, she stood up and pulled out her phone, checking the time. She had been sitting in the bathroom for over half an hour.

When she looked in the mirror again she whimpered. Her eyes were bloodshot, and her cheeks were red. Tear stains lined her face and her eyes were puffy. She opened one of the drawers and pulled out foundation and a brush. She lightly covered her cheeks, the redness disappearing. She drew some eyeliner around her eyes and suddenly looked like a whole different person. Not the woman who was leaning against the wall sobbing her heart out just minutes before.

Satisfied with the way she looked, Valkyrie unlocked the door and headed back downstairs to join Skulduggery and Gabrielle.