15. I Love You

Skulduggery rushed back inside the room when he heard Reverie's startled voice and his eyes widened. He carefully grabbed Bella out of Valkyrie's lifeless arms, cradling her to his chest and staring in complete shock. The doctor tapped the Sunburst again and nothing happened. She tried once more, and still nothing. Skulduggery's heart dropped. His green eyes never left Valkyrie's body.

Her dark hair was laid out on the pillow, framing her face. Her skin was already going pale. She was gone, she was really gone... That was until, her dark eyes fluttered open slowly and she looked up at him.

"I'm sorry," She choked out. "Promise me something?"

Skulduggery stared at her, walking closer. "Please don't," he whispered. Valkyrie sighed.

"I'm sorry. I need you to promise me something."

"Anything," he stared, his heart sinking in his chest.

"Look after them," Valkyrie whispered, before her eyes began fluttering closed again. "Protect them with your life..."

"Valkyrie, hold on please."

"I can't... I love you."

Valkyrie Cain's eyes closed once again, and her heart finally stopped beating. Skulduggery stood there in shock, tears running down his cheeks. Bella wailed in his arms, directing his attention back to her. The baby looked up with her brown eyes, blinking. She reached up to grab his shirt and gurgled, giggling quietly. Skulduggery narrowed his eyes, hatred burning through him. She had killed Valkyrie, Bella had murdered his Valkyrie.

He glared at the child, then choked on a sob when the initial shock of the situation hit him like a train. Reverie stepped back, wiping away the tears that had slipped down her cheeks. She glanced up at Skulduggery. "I'm so sorry," she whispered.

She walked around the bed and took Bella from his arms. Immediately he sunk to his knees, sobbing uncontrollably and unable to comprehend the situation.

Bella began to cry at the noise and Reverie left the room with her, leaving Skulduggery to grieve next to his dead wife alone. Gabrielle was standing as still as a statue, tears falling from her blue eyes. Sophie squirmed in her arms, but she didn't notice. Ravel was sitting on one of the chairs, and he stood up when the doctor walked out.

He caught sight of Bella and a twinkle could be seen in his eye.

"What's wrong?" He asked when he saw Reverie's unreadable expression. The doctor swallowed back the lump that had formed in her throat.

"Valkyrie didn't make it," she whispered. Ravel stared at the ground.

"Oh..." He murmured.

"Take Bella for the moment," Reverie told him, handing him the child. Ravel cradled her close, and fought back a smirk when the baby stared up with those dark brown eyes that were so much like her mother's. Gabrielle turned towards them, still not speaking. She looked away from Ravel when he narrowed his eyes at her.

Cries could be heard from inside the room. Heartbreaking sobs followed them. Gabrielle gave a small gasp. "Skulduggery..." She whispered.

Ravel looked towards the door and sighed, rocking his arms back and forth until Bella eventually fell asleep.

"I'm..." Gabrielle started, turning. "I'm going to take Sophie and Bella home..."

Ravel nodded.
"Would you like some help?"

"No," she said immediately. "I mean, no, thanks anyway."

Ravel nodded, walking out after Gabrielle and helping her with organising the other baby seat which had been placed conveniently in the boot of the car already. He stood with his arms folded across his chest and smirked as she drove away.

Mission accomplished.

***

"Well?" Claret asked as he walked back in the door. Ravel hung up his coat, the smirk still plastered across his face.

"She's dead."

Claret grinned.
"Good. And Skulduggery?"

"Grieving."

Claret shrugged.
"He'll get over it eventually. Besides, now we have more pressing matters at hand."

Ravel looked up at her, his golden eyes sparkling.
"That we do."

"You saw the child?"

"I held her."

Claret raised an eyebrow.
"And her power?"

"It was worth the wait," Ravel smiled. "She's a Goddess."

***

Skulduggery sat, not looking at anything in particular. His head was down, his tear ducts long dried up. Ghastly sat at his desk, staring at his friend sadly.

Skulduggery had spent hours in that room with Valkyrie, crying and begging for her to come back to him. But it was no use, she wasn't coming back, that was the reality of the situation right now.

Apart from Valkyrie's death, Skulduggery had one major thing on his mind right at that moment.

Bella was a murderer.

She wasn't even a minute old and she'd already killed someone. Anger bubbled up inside him. How dare she take Valkyrie from him.

"Skulduggery," Ghastly tried, noticing how his friend's shoulders suddenly went rigid. Skulduggery looked up, infuriated, but said nothing. "What are you thinking?" Ghastly asked him.

Skulduggery narrowed his eyes. He could only make one word. "Bella," he spat, getting to his feet.

Ghastly also stood.
"Don't do anything stupid. This isn't her fault."

Skulduggery stormed out the door, letting it slam and causing the frame to rattle behind him.

All he was seeing was red.