29. Compulsion

"No..." Claret breathed, her bright blue eyes growing wide. "No!"

"What's wrong?" Ravel frowned, approaching her.

"The link," she whispered. "The compulsion, it's severing!"

His frown deepened. "What...?"

"Ravel it's weakening! I'm losing my grip on his mind! This will ruin everything!" She panicked, running her fingers through her soft blonde hair and tugging on it in frustration. "This isn't meant to happen! He was supposed to leave so he wouldn't mess with our plans!"

Tyrell, who was being compelled to stand beside her, grunted. "Compulsion doesn't work over long distances, bitch. You of all people should've known that. Now, you've fucked up big time."

The slap came so fast that the older man didn't even register that his sister had struck him until his head snapped to one side, cheek burning. Ravel's eyebrows shot up, and he stared. Tyrell straightened up slowly, barely fazed. Claret was glaring at him fiercely.

"Do not speak to me, Jacob."

Tyrell grunted again, rolling his eyes. "Yes, mother."

For a long moment, the two siblings glared each other down, but were interrupted when the door was thrown open. The girl walked inside, body rigid with anger.

"What has happened?" Claret asked her, diverting her attention from Tyrell. The older man looked to the newcomer as well, now curious.

"The stupid little bitch ran off," she grumbled as she reached them.

"Bella?"

"Bella," she growled, blue eyes flashing angrily. "Aidan screamed at her and left and she hightailed it to only the Faceless Ones know where."

"Did you go look for her?"

"No, I'll wait. If she doesn't come home-"

"If she doesn't come home then all of this will be for nothing!" Claret shouted, eyes blazing with fury. "What if she's dead? Then what are we supposed to do? She's thirteen, and it's your job to protect her for another two years until we need her, Aberrant!"

The girl rolled her eyes annoyingly. "I understand what my job is, idiot. What I was going to say before I got rudely interrupted was, if she doesn't come home by tonight then I'll go out and search for her. I'm not running after the little whore now; these heels are brand new."

Claret opened her mouth to say something else, when her hands went to her head. "I'm losing him," she growled, panic lacing her tone.

"Losing who?" The girl asked, a delicate eyebrow raised. "Aidan?"

"Yes!"

"How?"

"Her compulsive techniques don't work over long distances," Tyrell cut in, watching as Ravel approached Claret, supporting her in case her knees gave out. The blonde girl looked up, body trembling.

"He can't get any further. Bring him back. Now!"