21. Total Eclipse of the Heart

When Bella and Sophie returned home, Gabrielle was waiting for them. She seemed to relax as soon as she saw them, and hurried down the front steps towards her nieces. "Thank god you came back," she breathed, pulling them both into hugs.

Bella stared at her blankly, fighting the urge to cry. She had bruises all the way up her arms - and she absentmindedly tugged her sleeves down further to hide them. Sophie's bottom lip wobbled. "Where is he?" She whispered, nervously glancing around.

"Not here," Gabrielle murmured, kissing her forehead. "Why don't you both go back inside and I'll make you something warm to drink?"

Sophie nodded and hurried back inside, and Bella followed silently. A small smirk made the corner of Gabrielle's mouth twitch upwards. She walked after the two girls and glanced back over her shoulder. "Pull that trigger and Bella will die," she said, waving her hand airily. "There will be no one here to keep her safe from Aidan then."

Tyrell didn't lower the gun, his finger only tightened on the trigger. "I'll be here."

"Why, may I ask, have you come back?" She grinned, turning around to face him. "I should be killing you right now."

He just shrugged. "Someone's got to keep everyone in check."

"That someone is not you, Jacob," she rolled her eyes.

"Where's Aidan?" He snapped.

"Gone to visit friends, why?" She smirked.

"What friends, Gabrielle?"

"Nosy, aren't you? His sister."

Tyrell's glare darkened. "Tell her to stop this shit. Right now, or I'll kill you."

She held her arms out wide. "Fire away, big brother." Nothing happened. Gabrielle just laughed, and Tyrell lowered the gun. "Your heart's too big, Jacob," she grinned.

He didn't say anything for a while. "Please Gabby-"

"What? Are you begging?"

Tyrell glowered. "I'm asking you to stop all of this. She's a child-"

"So, this is about Bella and Aidan?"

He growled. "And Sophie. You're putting two innocent lives in danger."

"Aidan's own fault. Valkyrie should've kept her legs closed."

Tyrell stiffened. "Don't talk about Val like that."

Gabrielle raised an eyebrow. "Does someone miss her? Heaven forbid," she smirked.

Tyrell took one step forward, and Gabrielle took one step back, hand on the doorknob. It was Tyrell's turn to smirk. "Scared, Gabby? You coward."

"Fuck off," she snapped, eyes blazing.

"Tell our little sister to cease this stupidity."

The smirk sprang back up on her face. "Nah. Aidan just needs to be stronger. Right now, he's got what I'd call a total eclipse of the heart."

Fuming, Tyrell turned on his heel so his back was facing his sister. "When he learns to fight it, get ready. He won't hesitate in killing you."

"Like you did?"

His shoulders sagged, then he teleported. Gabrielle's smirk was replaced by a scowl, and her hands balled into fists. "What the fuck is he doing back?" She muttered to herself, turning and storming inside, closing the door calmly. Claret's compulsion better not fail, she thought. If it did, they were all done for.

She walked into the kitchen, to where Sophie and Bella were sitting at the table, whispering to each other. Their conversation stopped when she entered, and they both looked up.

"Hot chocolate?" She asked with a smile. Both of them nodded.

While Gabrielle busied herself making two hot chocolates, Sophie and Bella went back to whispering. The blonde woman could feel the power radiating off Bella, and she fought to hold back a grin. Her magic was getting stronger everyday. She couldn't wait until they had it for themselves.