14. He Was Like A Villain Out Of A TV Show

Valkyrie knew as soon as she felt something trickle down her leg. She froze.

"Uh... we have a situation..." She said softly.

"What's wrong?" Skulduggery asked, turning to her.

Valkyrie swallowed thickly. "It's coming."

She winced when she felt the early contractions starting, they were getting much more painful now. Skulduggery scooped her up and she bit her lip to keep from crying out. She heard him talking to Gabrielle, but couldn't make out the words; she was too focused on the pain.

Skulduggery placed her on the backseat and Valkyrie finally groaned.

"Just breathe," she heard him say, and then the Bentley's engine was roaring to life; and they were speeding to the Sanctuary.

Valkyrie started groaning when they finally pulled up, and Skulduggery moved fast, carefully carrying her through the doors. Mages stopped what they were doing, and smiled, watching them. Reverie met them at the Medical Wing, and Skulduggery gently placed Valkyrie on a bed, sitting down beside her and holding her hand, trying to calm her.

She stared at him, gritting her teeth. "I hate you."

"I know," Skulduggery smiled, and she turned away from him, gritting her teeth.

***

"I'm going," Ravel said, already walking towards the door. Claret smiled after him.

"I'll stay here. Let me know the details when you get back."

He gave a small nod, before walking out and letting the door click shut behind him. Ravel walked through the rain and out towards his car. Pulling the keys from his pocket, he unlocked the vehicle and opened the driver's side door. Slipping inside, he sighed, drumming his fingers against the steering wheel and humming to himself as he waited for the car to warm up.

Excitement bubbled up inside him, and he couldn't stop the laugh that escaped his lips. He rubbed his hands together, then laughed again. He was like a villain out of a TV show, rubbing his freaking hands together. Shaking his head and still chuckling to himself, he pulled his seatbelt across his body, and stepped down on the accelerator gently, the car slowly gliding out onto the road and towards the direction of the Irish Sanctuary.

The whole drive he was smiling. This was it. He would finally have a Goddess. He was just holding out hope that their plan worked. If it didn't, they were toast.

Eventually, he pulled up and stared at the doors. A massive grin broke out on his face, one that he couldn't force away, no matter how hard he tried. He killed the engine and climbed out, letting the cold rain soak his clothes. He locked the car once again and walked through the doors, managing to calm down the insane grin plastered across his face, and just smiling calmly.

When he reached the Medical Wing, he saw Gabrielle standing outside with Sophie in her arms. The blonde girl kept her gaze away from him and he stared at her as he walked past. Ravel resisted the urge to peer inside the room and just sat down on one of the chairs, folding his arms across his chest and watching Gabrielle like a hawk.

***

The sound of a baby's cry filled the room, and Valkyrie looked up, still getting her breathing under control. Reverie wrapped the wailing child in a pink blanket and Valkyrie smiled.

The doctor walked over and placed the baby girl in Valkyrie's arms. The dark-haired woman stared down at her lovingly, and Skulduggery leaned over and kissed her. He stared at the baby, who was now staring up at them both with dark brown eyes, maybe even darker than Valkyrie's herself.

"Hello Bella," he smiled.

Valkyrie looked up at him, a grin forming on her face. The baby stared up at him, blinking. Skulduggery stroked her cheek gently with one finger, and Bella's tiny hand came up and grabbed it. Valkyrie watched them, and felt her eyelids drooping. She forced them open.

You're just tired, don't start panicking.

Bella let go of Skulduggery's finger and he stood up straight again. "Hang on," he said, and Valkyrie nodded, feeling her mind go cloudy. A headache began to pound behind her eyes as she watched him walk towards the door. She tried shaking her head to clear it, but it only made things worse.

She fought back a groan, and looked down at Bella instead. The baby had her eyes closed now, breathing deeply. She was so beautiful...

Valkyrie smiled, and then her own eyes closed. She felt herself slipping, and she tried to reopen her eyes, but couldn't.

Skulduggery! She shrieked in her head. Of course, he didn't hear her. Skulduggery!

All she had to do was let go and let the darkness consume her. What was going on? This wasn't how things were supposed to play out! No!

Eventually, her body went limp, and she took one last shaky breath, Bella still in her arms. Then, Valkyrie Cain slipped away into nothingness.