28. The Memories Started Slamming Into Him Like Tidal Waves

The plane was alive with chatter. Skulduggery sat closest to the window, staring out of it blankly as they got further and further away from Ireland. He didn't really know where he was headed, but he jumped on the first available flight and gotten the hell out of there.

There was a family directly behind him, but no matter how hard he tried to block them out, the kid was kicking the back of his chair, and it was infuriating. Skulduggery's fists started clenching as he tried everything to control his anger. Which was somewhat difficult when his rage continued to bubble up, and up, and up.

The kid slammed his feet into the back of the seat again and the detective focused his gaze on the window, eyes darkening. He managed to control himself, however, and when the kid got bored from not getting a reaction, he stopped. Then Skulduggery settled back in his seat and sighed, expression softening.

Half an hour passed, and the further away they got from Ireland, the less angry he became. It felt like his head and mind were less clouded, like he could finally think straight again. The sensation was almost strange to him, after not being fully in control for... how many years was it? Thirteen?

A frown made its way onto his face. Thirteen years? What had changed? All the sudden, it was like a fog had been lifted, and the further away he got, more memories started slamming into him like tidal waves.

Oh, hell.