10. This Secret Would Tear Her And Skulduggery Apart

After falling asleep on the couch, Skulduggery was sprawled out on top of Valkyrie, and she was getting pins and needles. Giggling quietly, she slid out from underneath him, being careful not to disturb him. She tip-toed into the bathroom to shower, and the door swung shut behind her. It was quiet enough in the house for her to hear the lock click. She stilled, heart pounding and blood running cold. Her dark eyes darted around the bathroom, and Valkyrie could feel her magic buzzing in her fingertips. There were cracks in the tiles, and she swallowed thickly, fear seeping into her veins and making her feel heavy. She couldn't move.

"'Ello little darlin'," came that all-too-familiar Texan drawl.

Valkyrie turned slowly, pulse hammering. "Sanguine."

He shot her a sly smile. "Still haven't told Funny Bones your horrible secret? Valkyrie, in your wedding vows you promised to be honest with him. What's he going to think of this?"

She shook her head slowly. "You're not telling him. I will, in my own time."

A smirk stretched itself across his features. "What's stopping me?" He reached for the door knob and Valkyrie lunged at him. Sanguine's hand shot out and clamped around her wrist, applying pressure. Valkyrie winced in pain and he yanked her sharply towards him.

"I will stop you," she growled. He wrenched and twisted and she cried out, almost falling to her knees. Pain flashed in her eyes.

"How?" He murmured, lips grazing her earlobe. "I could just go out there right now and spill the beans."

"He'd kill you before you could," Valkyrie breathed.

"Wanna bet?"

She didn't say anything, but panicked when he reached for the door handle again. She tried breaking out of his iron grip, but couldn't.

"Get down on your knees Cain, and beg me," he snarled. Valkyrie whimpered, glancing at the door. She couldn't let him do it. Swallowing her pride, she lowered herself down at his feet, head held low. Sanguine paused, but watched her, letting go of her arm.

"Go on," he sneered. "Beg, you little wretch."

With tears in her eyes, she looked up and clasped her hands in front of her heart. "Please, Billy Ray, don't."

"I think you can do a whole lot better than that," he grinned.

Whimpering again, she choked back a sob. "Sanguine, I'm begging you. Don't tell him."

The hitman sighed loudly. "I suppose. But you'll have to tell him eventually, little darlin'. He deserves to know, don't you think?"

Valkyrie pushed herself to her feet, her pride shattered. She blinked back tears. She wouldn't cry, not in front of him.

"Your relationship will crumble," he sang. "Isn't that what they say? Marriage doesn't usually last these days. The D word is where you'll be heading."

Valkyrie's jaw locked. "Get out of my house."

He chuckled, folding his arms. "As you wish. But if I was your husband, I'd like to know."

Then he sunk into the ground, leaving cracks in the tiles. Valkyrie's bottom lip wobbled. Fighting the urge to burst into tears, she grabbed two towels from the cupboard in the hall and laid them down to cover and hide the cracks.

He was right. This secret would tear her and Skulduggery apart.