26. Bella Bambina

The next morning, Sophie woke up first. She sat up and yawned. Then a reminder came up on her phone.

'Bella's b'day today.'

Grinning madly, she leapt out of bed and threw on her fresh clothes, spraying herself with deodorant and hurrying to pull a brush through her hair. Then Sophie leant down and pulled the present out from underneath her bed. It was wrapped in fiery paper, small and rectangular. Still smiling widely, she rushed out of her bedroom and across the hall, in a good mood for once. She rapped her knuckles on Bella's door a few times and waited, impatiently bouncing on the balls of her feet.

The door cracked open and Bella peered out.

"Happy birthday!" Sophie squealed, holding out the present. Bella managed a small smile and stepped to one side, holding open the door so her older sister could step through. The door clicked shut softly behind her and Sophie quite practically skipped over to the bed. Bella followed.

"You didn't have to do this," the younger girl mumbled, sitting down on her bed beside her sister.

"Nonsense," Sophie giggled, forcing the wrapped gift into Bella's hands. "Open it."

Bella sighed and tore it open, revealing a small box. Sophie was bouncing in anticipation as her sister pulled off the blue ribbon and opened the lid of the box. The dark-haired girl's lips parted slightly and she carefully lifted out the ring inside.

It was silver in colour, with black gems along the top. Around the rim, the words, 'Bella Bambina' were engraved in beautiful fine font.

"Beautiful baby girl," Sophie translated. "It's Italian."

Bella looked up, tears in her eyes. This was the nicest thing she'd ever been given in her entire life. "I love you so much, Soph," she breathed. "Thank you."

The older girl wrapped her arms tightly around her sister, holding her frail form. "You're welcome, Bambina," she murmured. 

They sat there like that for a few minutes, just embracing one another, not wanting to let go. Bella felt safe in Sophie's arms, like nothing would hurt her. But she still didn't feel at peace. It wasn't enough safety. The warmth wasn't there.

In half an hour, everyone in the house was awake, and Bella stayed as close to Sophie as she could. They descended the stairs together, and immediately realised their mistake. Gabrielle was shouting - no, Gabrielle was screaming at her brother. Neither of the girls could make out what she was saying though.

Bella shrank back behind her sister slightly when Skulduggery stormed past them. "IT'S YOUR DAUGHTER'S GODDAMN BIRTHDAY AND YOU'RE JUST GOING TO LEAVE?!" Gabrielle shrieked.

Bella's heart swelled suddenly. He was leaving? Hope filled her eyes and flooded her entire body. Sophie's eyebrows shot up when her father screamed back.

"YES!"

"WHAT ABOUT YOUR PROMISE?!" Gabrielle stalked after him, eyes blazing with anger. "THE PROMISE YOU MADE TO VALKYRIE BEFORE SHE DIED?!"

Sophie watched Skulduggery come to an abrupt halt, stiffening. She bit her lip as he turned slowly, and her eyes travelled to his hands. He was playing with his wedding ring, slowly sliding it off. It clattered to the ground and her whole world came to a standstill. He hadn't just...

"Looks I'm breaking more than one promise," he growled.

Gabrielle gaped at him, tears in her usually bright blue eyes. She couldn't believe him. He'd just taken off his wedding ring, broken two promises that he'd made to his beloved. Now here she was, standing in front of him. She should've known that he'd completely lose it eventually, it wouldn't have been long. There was only so much pain one man could take in his lifetime.

Then Skulduggery turned, and his eyes landed on Sophie and Bella. Both girls stilled, staring at him nervously.

"And you," he murmured, pointing at his youngest daughter. "No one will ever love you. No one loves a murderer. No one loves a depressed girl. No one will ever say they need you. No one cares. You're useless and you deserve to die," he spat.

Bella stumbled back as if she'd been struck. He'd used all her insecurities and fears against her. Her bottom lip began to wobble, and her father continued staring at her.

"Are you going to cry?" He taunted, venom lacing his tone. "Go ahead. You're a cry baby, a weakling. And you'll never be a true warrior. You will never be like her."

He turned on his heel and left the house, the front door slamming shut behind him with so much force that the frame rattled. Bella stood there, tears blinding her vision. Before either of them could stop her, Bella was racing out the backdoor, ignoring both Sophie and Gabrielle calling for her to come back.